Insert or stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clipse270

Mar 25, 2017
Harrisburg PA
Hi all,

Looking for advice for my fireplace. My wife and I want to simply burn wood in our fireplace. We don’t need heat, although it would certainly be a plus if we gained heat. We just want the ambiance of burning wood in our fireplace. A recent inspection proved its not safe to use it the way it is. What is the cheapest way we can burn wood in our fireplace? It’s a 25 foot exterior masonry chimney. I am thinking if we buy an insert and use a fire screen might be easiest but I appreciate any and all ideas. Again we are not necessarily looking for heat. Fire box measures 36x22x18. We currently have gas logs, but they are less than exciting. Thanks!

An insert connected to an insulated stainless liner sound like the right fit.

Reactions: Wolf1022008
It really depends on “why” the masonry structure was deemed unsafe for burning and the credentials of the guy making that determination.

You may just want the ambiance but I bet after you see how much heat a good insert provides while still pretty much looking like a normal fireplace you'll change your mind.

An insert with a stainless liner in the chimney would work well pending the reason for the chimney not being safe to use.

Your gas line will have to be capped somewhere away from the fireplace, how accessible is it?