Insert vs Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mhughes

Nov 13, 2017
SE PA
In my previous house I had a Quadrafire 4100i insert. Recently moved and just have a regular, inefficient masonry chimney. I didn't love the Quadrafire as either the fan or the acoustics of the stove made the fan noise whine at even medium RPMs.

Anyway, looking to get another insert for the new house but keep stumbling across "Wood Inserts and Fireplaces". What exactly is a "wood burning fireplace" if that's not too dumb a question? How is it different than a stove insert? I see everything from complete, pre-built fireplaces to heatilators + units that are somewhat sealed with outside air intake. How efficient are these fireplace products vs stoves? Little confused about this category.

Reactions: mhughes
So is this an insert stove or a fireplace? http://napoleonfireplaces.com/products/high-country-6000-wood-fireplace/ It looks a lot like a stove to me; looks like it requires a stainless steel liner rather then venting up my existing masonry chimney. But it also has a screen accessory which makes me think it is definitely not a stove. Would this go into an existing masonry chimney?

Can you leave the house with a "HE fireplace" burning?

FIREPLACE—An enclosure, open in the front for burning fuel. Solid fuel fireplaces may contain and vent gas log sets or fireplace inserts. Gas fireplaces are metal appliances open in the front and containing artificial log sets.

FIREPLACE INSERT—Solid fuel appliance designed to be installed partially or fully in the firebox of a masonry fireplace, and which vents into the fireplace chimney by means of full relining or appliance to flue methods.

FIREPLACE STOVE—A free-standing solid fuel burning room heating appliance operated either with its fire chamber open or closed to the room. NFPA and most codes use the term room heater-fireplace stove combination for a fireplace stove, and use the term fireplace stove to designate a unit without doors, that has its fire chamber always open to the room.

FIREPLACE, ZERO CLEARANCE—A factory-built metal fireplace with multi-layer construction providing enough insulation and/or air cooling so that the base, back, and in some cases sides, can safely be placed in direct contact (zero clearance) with combustible floors and walls.

Reactions: mhughes
So is this an insert stove or a fireplace? http://napoleonfireplaces.com/products/high-country-6000-wood-fireplace/ It looks a lot like a stove to me; looks like it requires a stainless steel liner rather then venting up my existing masonry chimney. But it also has a screen accessory which makes me think it is definitely not a stove. Would this go into an existing masonry chimney?

That would be a fireplace. If going up existing chimney it would need new liner, clearances, etc...