Inserts with the best radiant heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

creek chub

Sep 28, 2015
Va
Looking for wood inserts that offer the best radiant heat output. Prefer cat options but open to all suggestions

Many thanks

I think both the cat and it being an insert make models much more effective as (fan forced) convective heat sources.

Radiant needs surface area to radiate out of, and given that inserts have only one out of 6 sides exposed, that doesn't work very well.

If you want an insert, you're going to have to live with a fan most of the time.
If you want the largest fraction of time without a fan that is possible, go with a protruding insert with the largest window.

Last edited:
Reactions: creek chub
I think another good question is what insert has the most quiet blower on lowest setting.

These are all designed around forced convection. They still heat without a blower and are safe to use but just aren’t efficient.

Any insert that sticks out of the opening more will be more radiant. BK princess insert would be on my list for more radiant cat insert

I did not look at the sizing, but the Buck 91 also protrudes.

I think another good question is what insert has the most quiet blower on lowest setting.

These are all designed around forced convection. They still heat without a blower and are safe to use but just aren’t efficient.

Any insert that sticks out of the opening more will be more radiant. BK princess insert would be on my list for more radiant cat insert
I’ll look to see how close a blaze king dealer is to me

Kuma also makes a hearth heater insert.....

BKVP

The Osburn 3500 protrudes but its a tube stove, not a cat stove.

Importantly, no matter which make, model, or type of stove you get make sure to install a blockoff plate and insulate the back, sides and above the blockoff plate with rockwool insulation if the chimney is on an exterior wall. That way you won't lose your heat up the chimney or radiated out through the masonry.

Reactions: creek chub and BKVP
The Osburn 3500 protrudes but its a tube stove, not a cat stove.

Importantly, no matter which make, model, or type of stove you get make sure to install a blockoff plate and insulate the back, sides and above the blockoff plate with rockwool insulation if the chimney is on an exterior wall. That way you won't lose your heat up the chimney or radiated out through the masonry.
Good idea, but more important with an exterior wall fireplace than an interior one.
Pacific Energy, Buck, Quadrafire, Kuma, Regency, etc. also make more radiant, non-flush inserts.