Install a Fan on the blockoff plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

futzol

Sep 1, 2015
New York
Hello,

Been lurking for a while, learned a lot! Second year burning wood, first year no block off plate installed because I followed my dealer's advice...

Installing a block off plate this weekend, question about design mods/enhancement.

The block off plate will be around 6 inches from the top of the stove (Osburn Matrix). I have a high temp, high speed 6 inch computer fan that I pulled from a computer I built years ago (back when overclocking CPU's was cool) I used this fan last year, mounted under the mantel to push the warm air trapped under there out.

I was considering mounting the fan on the upside of the block off plate, with air blowing down towards the stove, the hot air then trapped between the plate and the stove would be force out the top opening of the stove (place between the stove surround and the brick). If it works well, I will build in a few vents when I refinish my fireplace. Currently it is red brick from the 70s, but planning on putting field stone on with a redesigned hearth.

What do you experts think? good idea? bad idea? worth it?

Thanks,

Futzol

Pseronally, I don't think it's worth it for the heat transfer....a bit more hassle than anything.

More importantly, if it is above the stove, it's gonna get quite toasty. A little too warm for a fan. It would likely melt!

Andrew

Sorry, I don't like the idea. It's placing combustibles and wiring closer than stove clearances allow. Blow cooler room air into the fireplace cavity, it's safer.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.