• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Glen007

Jan 31, 2017
Upstate, NY
Hi all,

I ordered a Vermont Castings Merrimack and double checked all dimensions and clearances before purchasing. I'm having a handyman who has done quite a bit of quality work on our home do the install. I just want to make sure I know enough about the install myself to make sure he is going to be doing it correctly. I've read a number of posts about general installs but I still have a few questions.

1. Liner: The liner will be inside an external wall, single-story brick chimney. Is there any advantage of having a double wall liner installed in my situation? I was looking at a few websites for liners and Rockford is selling a flexible liner "Rockflex" that may be ordered with optional foil faced insulation kit. Would the Rockford kit be sufficient? Insulation necessary?

2. Block off plate: I have seen pictures of block off plates and understand the advantages of them. Should I have the block off plate insulated above the plate? Does there need to be a block off plate installed at the top of the liner as well?

3. Hearth opening/insert insulation: I've read some people use a product called Roxul for insulation within the hearth opening (provided there is enough space). Is this something I should have installed?

Other information: This insert is going to be located at the far end of a large room (55' x 16') which exists within an open layout. I'm looking to maximize heat output of this insert. The Merrimack was not my first choice but I ended up compromising with my wife on ascetics and having a large viewing area.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to provide!

-Glen

I'm having a handyman who has done quite a bit of quality work on our home do the install.
Does your handy man know anything about installing stoves? If he does great. But if not honestly if you are going to pay someone to do the install why not pay someone who knows what they are doing some installs are very simple and anyone with decent mechanical skills can do it but some are much more complicated and can quickly become a nightmare for an inexperienced installer. Also check to see if his insurance covers this type of install. I am nt telling you not to have him do it just consider if he is the best person for the job.

1. Liner: The liner will be inside an external wall, single-story brick chimney. Is there any advantage of having a double wall liner installed in my situation? I was looking at a few websites for liners and Rockford is selling a flexible liner "Rockflex" that may be ordered with optional foil faced insulation kit. Would the Rockford kit be sufficient? Insulation necessary?
You will want single wall liner with insulation. That can be 3 thicknesses I prefer the heaviest but any will work just dont get the 2 ply smooth interior light wall stuff. It should be insulated which can be pre insulated or you can get the insulation kit that is applied in the field either works fine.

2. Block off plate: I have seen pictures of block off plates and understand the advantages of them. Should I have the block off plate insulated above the plate? Does there need to be a block off plate installed at the top of the liner as well?
Yeah insulation above the plate is a good idea and yes you will also need a top plate to seal the top off. It should come with your liner kit.

3. Hearth opening/insert insulation: I've read some people use a product called Roxul for insulation within the hearth opening (provided there is enough space). Is this something I should have installed?
If it is on an exterior wall some insulation behind the insert is a good idea to.

Does your handy man know anything about installing stoves? If he does great. But if not honestly if you are going to pay someone to do the install why not pay someone who knows what they are doing some installs are very simple and anyone with decent mechanical skills can do it but some are much more complicated and can quickly become a nightmare for an inexperienced installer. Also check to see if his insurance covers this type of install. I am nt telling you not to have him do it just consider if he is the best person for the job.

You will want single wall liner with insulation. That can be 3 thicknesses I prefer the heaviest but any will work just dont get the 2 ply smooth interior light wall stuff. It should be insulated which can be pre insulated or you can get the insulation kit that is applied in the field either works fine.

Yeah insulation above the plate is a good idea and yes you will also need a top plate to seal the top off. It should come with your liner kit.

If it is on an exterior wall some insulation behind the insert is a good idea to.

Thank you very much for your input! Want to make sure this is done right as I've read quite a few posts about people not installing block off plates or insulating and getting very poor results. I'd hate to drop all this money on a decent insert only to have the productivity of it undermined by lack of simple parts.

One last thing that came to mind when I was thinking about the block off plate. What do people use to seal small air gaps around the plate? Is there a high temperature sealant that can be used with a caulk gun?

Thanks,
Glen