Install Snag - Any Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Hearth Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
Am doing my own insert install of a Quad 5100. Have the liner insulated (except the last few feet at the top) and installed, and it's ovalized and through the flue.....but I'm have a couple of fitting problems. The liner is so long (35 feet, only 2 or 3 feet of which will be taken off the top when the rain cap goes on) and the roof so steep and chimney so high we're having a problem lifting the liner up and down for final fitting of the length, it's too heavy and can't get enough leverage on it to move it up or down especially with the liner ovalized through the flue....so we are just trimming from the bottom........but since the liner has been distored by being ovalized to get it through the flue we are having problems fitting it to the appliance connector and lined up correctly with the insert......is that just trail and error? Moving that insert is so rough I want to minimize the number of times we shove it in and pull it out.

Yes it's just a struggle to form and re-fit the ovalized section. I would install it once. I trim with a 4 1/2" cut-off wheel. top and bottom.

Good Luck!!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.