Install Underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First weekend has been a successful couple of days learning. Thanks to the time I've spent here I feel like my learning curve was pretty flat. After the first couple of fires, I fiddled around with the air, just trying to figure things out and see how much control I had over it. It's not the most beautiful thing in the world but it sure does it's job. Next hearth project will be built ins for the wife

With my setup, there were a few things I needed to figure out. First it's a basement install, however, in a ranch. Draft is not a problem for me except for the very first fire (every subsequent start from cold has gone well). Also, the eternal question of will I get heat upstairs? For me, the answer is yes. Haven't really pushed it though as the priority has always been to keep the basement comfy. It's pretty easy for me to maintain the basement around 71-72. If it's getting too warm, I can turn on a fan at the bottom of the stairs and bring in the cooler air from upstairs faster. And every time I've gone outside to look, no smoke, so that's awesome.

My side of the family was visiting this weekend, they're jealous and asked a lot of questions. For Christmas, wood burning related, I got a pair of hearth gloves and Lars Mytting's book.

Attachments

• Install Underway
    IMG_1867.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Install Underway
    IMG_1868.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 169
Lars Mytting's book.
yea good luck getting any reading done with that setup, The couch right there will cause you to time travel

First weekend has been a successful couple of days learning. Thanks to the time I've spent here I feel like my learning curve was pretty flat. After the first couple of fires, I fiddled around with the air, just trying to figure things out and see how much control I had over it. It's not the most beautiful thing in the world but it sure does it's job. Next hearth project will be built ins for the wife

With my setup, there were a few things I needed to figure out. First it's a basement install, however, in a ranch. Draft is not a problem for me except for the very first fire (every subsequent start from cold has gone well). Also, the eternal question of will I get heat upstairs? For me, the answer is yes. Haven't really pushed it though as the priority has always been to keep the basement comfy. It's pretty easy for me to maintain the basement around 71-72. If it's getting too warm, I can turn on a fan at the bottom of the stairs and bring in the cooler air from upstairs faster. And every time I've gone outside to look, no smoke, so that's awesome.

My side of the family was visiting this weekend, they're jealous and asked a lot of questions. For Christmas, wood burning related, I got a pair of hearth gloves and Lars Mytting's book.
Nice looking setup. Real cozy. Congratulations!

Thanks! All of our board games, the vast majority of the books, and the piano are in the same room, we like hanging out down here more often in the winter now. Just need to get a TV and sound...
don't put a tv down there.. .just enjoy the board games and company :)

True! Wish I had room for an actual table or card table that is more convenient to play games on. That area is taken up by my office...yes I get to work and play with the stove all at the same time.

We don't watch that much tv anymore (scratching my head as to why I still pay for it...oh yeah, college football) so would be more for watching movies or football and would keep the main level quieter at night for the little guy. But definitely need some music down there, probably end up bringing in a 2.1 setup from the surround receiver upstairs.

True! Wish I had room for an actual table or card table that is more convenient to play games on. That area is taken up by my office...yes I get to work and play with the stove all at the same time.

We don't watch that much tv anymore (scratching my head as to why I still pay for it...oh yeah, college football) so would be more for watching movies or football and would keep the main level quieter at night for the little guy. But definitely need some music down there, probably end up bringing in a 2.1 setup from the surround receiver upstairs.
I grew up with a setup like yours and we spent much of the winter in the basement where it was cozy. Good memories of the family time.

Reactions: yooper08
So as an update, still learning the whole air control thing, moreso just need to be patient instead of fiddling. I find myself checking perhaps too often and checking whether smoke is coming out or not. Just trying to keep it going efficiently.

Didn't burn Thursday as it was warmer so I took the opportunity to take the remaining 10 feet or so of the ceramic flue insulation and cut it up, sprayed it with adhesive to lock fibers in, and stuffed it behind and above the old heatilator firebox to help keep the heat in. I have noticed the brick just above the insert being much warmer since.

Been getting the basement warmer, in the 73-75 range. I said earlier that I'm getting heat upstairs but doesn't seem too meaningful at least temp wise, it'll stay around 69, thermostat is set at 68, could be my imagination but I think the boiler is cycling less. Was hoping for something better but it does feel more comfortable. Can definitely tell the warm air is going up the stairs though.

Been getting consistent 4-6 hr burns depending on how much wood goes in, glass is still very clean except for the lower left corner is slightly brown. Anything to worry about/think ahead or should I consider that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.