Installation in existing masonry, clearances, options, and efficiency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justinandlaura

Oct 1, 2021
Ma
Forgive me for any forum faux pas, new to forum and joined to sort out some fears and hesitation with a stove install. Pics posted. There was a coal stove previously installed in this location with a hearth pad. The oak wood floor under the pad sustained heat damage/charring. The stove was set out a ways into the room and vented up through the damper with a block off plate in the damper. This was permitted, inspected, and approved by the town. I was hoping to simply mimick the previous installation with a wood stove but possibly have the stove set back into the fireplace a bit more so it wasn't jutting out into the room so much. I'm weighing my options here, the space is small, and so is my budget. Every stove i've looked at will have clearance issues in this space so I'm not sure how the previous installation passed inspection. What are my options here?

fireplace clearance.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to beat the prices from Costco for the Escape 1500 trio kit, but stock is running out if not gone in some areas.

Reactions: justinandlaura
Me too. cheapest option I found after lots of searching was the Drolet 1800i trio from Costco. Installed it last Sunday. With insulation kit from Amazon (Rockford chimney I think). Total came to $2000 with tax. Needs 47” between side trim you have 55 but it needs 27 from top of stove (plus the 23” height of the stove) to trim or mantle. Probably won’t make that without modifications.

Do you like the paneling. Remove it below the mantle and moving the mantle up will give a lot more options.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I have a very small budget. Not to be nitpicky, but im really financially constrained.
So you are aware you are going to need a full stainless liner running through the chimney top to bottom

Reactions: EbS-P
Me too. cheapest option I found after lots of searching was the Drolet 1800i trio from Costco. Installed it last Sunday. With insulation kit from Amazon (Rockford chimney I think). Total came to $2000 with tax. Needs 47” between side trim you have 55 but it needs 27 from top of stove (plus the 23” height of the stove) to trim or mantle. Probably won’t make that without modifications.

Do you like the paneling. Remove it below the mantle and moving the mantle up will give a
Dont really like the panelling but im expecting to have it just be 2x4's underneath, looks like the trim is nailed in so... I guess I could reframe and put more courses of brick but im no mason, and its more involved than i'd like to be. Ugh

So you are aware you are going to need a full stainless liner running through the chimney top to bottom
This is what im hearing, but is it really required or is it just prefered? The old stove had no such thing. Im guessing performance suffers if no liner? Also is there a specific class/grade liner that is required?

This is what im hearing, but is it really required or is it just prefered? The old stove had no such thing. Im guessing performance suffers if no liner? Also is there a specific class/grade liner that is required?
Yes it is really required. Performance and safety suffer allot. Any stainless liner specified for solid fuel will work and it should be insulated as well

Dont really like the panelling but im expecting to have it just be 2x4's underneath, looks like the trim is nailed in so... I guess I could reframe and put more courses of brick but im no mason, and its more involved than i'd like to be. Ugh
Metal studs dur-rock and tile. Insulated liner… insert/stove, hearth extension/ floor protection. Not simple.

Just based off pictures you posted if you are handy $2500 is about the cheapest you can go. unless you can find a used insert or stove. But an insulated 25’ liner is probably 750$-1000$ alone. I went down the used path this summer. I didn’t want a project. Good stoves/inserts I was finding where 750-1500$. At that price I just decided to go budget new. 2500$ buys a lot of heat no matter what you are heating with in the short term.