Installation of Class A steel Chimney, roof question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I have a asphalt shingled roof that I will be cutting a hole in to pass through the Class A chimney system I'll be installing next weekend (Oct 1 and 2). First, what's the best way to cut the whole through the roof? Second, what should I use for "sealant" around the flashing? What about on the storm collar, anything there?

I have had good luck with a sawzall and a metal/wood blade. Use some copper RTV (ultra high temp) on the storm collar and roofing tar on the shingles you have to loosen...and yes, I know....don't tar the downslope side of the flashing...sigh...

Attachments

• Installation of Class A steel Chimney, roof question
    9-24-09 008 (Medium).jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 386
    9-24-09 021 (Medium).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 412
    9-24-09 022 (Medium).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 421
    9-24-09 025 (Medium).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 433
    9-24-09 031 (Medium).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 405
GE 2 clear silicone. Weave the flashing into the shingles. NO sealant should show on flashing, water tight and out of sight.

As long as you use the appropriate blade, a jigsaw, sawzall or even a circular saw will go thru the roof shingles and deck. I used a rockwell multitool and cut from the inside out. It was tight quarters and the thing worked like a champ.

For sealant I like both the Rutland and Imperial brands of high temp silicone for the chimney components and for the asphalt shingles I like the liquid nails roof repair sealant that comes in a caulking gun tube.

+1 on weaving into the shingles, but since I'm not a pro I used the liquid nails for extra security. No leaks yet - knock wood;)

If you haven't already read it, caulk the vertical seams on all exterior exposed class a pipe as well. They seem to be a big source of leaks.

jeeper said:
If you haven't already read it, caulk the vertical seams on all exterior exposed class a pipe as well. They seem to be a big source of leaks.

Really? I hadn't heard this at all. Any here have any problems with this?

Only the mechanically folded seams. They can be a water raceway. My Class A has welded seams.

mhrischuk said:
Only the mechanically folded seams. They can be a water raceway. My Class A has welded seams.

Huh, I'll have to check when I have. It's the Simpson Duravent DuraPlus triple wall Class A stainless.

Didn't mean to scare you by saying "big" source of leaks, more like the non welded pipe seams were often the culprit in "mystery" leaks cases.

There were some threads on this about 1-2 months ago when I was reading up for my 17vl install.

Good luck and happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.