Installation of thermal switch on a RB83 blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osm3um

Hearth Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Western WA
We purchased a home recently which came with a Dovre "Cape Cod" wood stove, model T300HT (build date 1999). Seems to work well, but I don't have anything to compare it to!

It has a "rear shield" which a blower can be attached to. So I purchased an R7-RB83 with a thermal switch. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IGCBXA/ref=oss_T15_product

Two questions:

Where should the switch be wired? The blower has a built in "speed controller". It seems failry drastic to cut the wires on a brand new blower and splice it in. I am guessing I could leave the variable speed controller in place as well.

Assuming I splice it in, where is the thermal switch to be placed? Just leave it inside the blower? Outside attached to the "rear shield" or attached to the stove somewhere?

Lastly, if I attach it outside of the blower, don't I have to worry about the wiring getting melted?

Thanks for your help, I am really enjoying my new hobby! Splitting wood, stoking the fire, it is a real blast.
Bob

>Where should the switch be wired? The blower has a built in "speed controller". It seems fairly drastic to cut the wires on a brand new blower and splice it in. I am guessing I could leave the variable speed controller in place as well.

Assuming I splice it in, where is the thermal switch to be placed? Just leave it inside the blower? Outside attached to the "rear shield" or attached to the stove somewhere?

Lastly, if I attach it outside of the blower, don't I have to worry about the wiring getting melted?

Thanks for your help, I am really enjoying my new hobby! Splitting wood, stoking the fire, it is a real blast.<>

The thermal switch needs to be placed so that it will heat up & close so the blower will come on (doh)...
The flat surface of thermo-disk must be in contact with the stove body.
That being said, they are generally located on the lower area of the stove body.
The rationale for locating them low, is that the bottom of the stove is the last part to
heat up so when the switch closes, the blower will blow air across a part of the stove that
is hot enough to heat the air moving over it.
Also, do not locate it in the stream of air coming from the blower.
The moving air may cool the switch & your blower will continually cycle on/off as the
disk heat/cools.
As far as the wiring goes, use spade connectors & install the thermo switch BETWEEN the rheostat & the blower...
Hope This makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.