Installing a Jotul Rockland in new addition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nik79

Oct 13, 2021
Wisconsin
I added a 600 sq ft addition to our house. We took our fireplace insert with us when we moved cause we loved it so much. Anyways, I am looking to use a fire rock prefab 36” fireplace with a metal fab chimney. I will use the lite rock installation so I can install on the floor. Can I run an insulated liner through the 14” double wall and be up to code 1777. Is their a better or less expensive way to use this insert. We would of built a masonry fireplace, but it got overlooked by the Builder… me. Any ideas??

Welcome. I think this is the first time this has come up. This for the C550 Rockland, correct? Running a 6" insulated liner up the existing chimney should be possible. What is uncertain is whether the hearth floor qualifies. After that the main concern would be clearances if there is a mantel and a proper hearth extension.

Welcome. I think this is the first time this has come up. This for the C550 Rockland, correct? Running a 6" insulated liner up the existing chimney should be possible. What is uncertain is whether the hearth floor qualifies. After that the main concern would be clearances if there is a mantel and a proper hearth extension.
Yes the 550. The lite rock kit is made for placing the hearth on a combustible floor. I asked a local dealer, they said they’ve never done an insert like this. I know it can be done, just not sure about the hearth extension. It says it must be supported underneath by a non combustible floor or support, I’m thinking of using some steel and then running a plate across that area. I have osb and TG joists. I really dropped the ball on this one, oh well. The unit was well over 4K and heats wonderfully. In long run it will pay for itself. Thanks for reply, love the site!

Ok, good. I will change the title to Rockland. What is the construction of the current hearth extension? Is it 18" deep? This installation is somewhat of a hybrid so I would follow the hearth protection requirements for a factory built fireplace. They call for the standard 1/2" millboard. Alternative hearth options are listed on page 22 of the manual in Appendix A. If you use a hearth pad of R=1.2 it should be ok.

Can you post a picture of the current fireplace so that we can see if there are any other potential issues?

Yes the 550. The lite rock kit is made for placing the hearth on a combustible floor. I asked a local dealer, they said they’ve never done an insert like this. I know it can be done, just not sure about the hearth extension. It says it must be supported underneath by a non combustible floor or support, I’m thinking of using some steel and then running a plate across that area. I have osb and TG joists. I really dropped the ball on this one, oh well. The unit was well over 4K and heats wonderfully. In long run it will pay for itself. Thanks for reply, love the site!
Ok, good. I will change the title to Rockland. What is the construction of the current hearth extension? Is it 18" deep? This installation is somewhat of a hybrid so I would follow the hearth protection requirements for a factory built fireplace. They call for the standard 1/2" millboard. Alternative hearth options are listed on page 22 of the manual in Appendix A. If you use a hearth pad of R=1.2 it should be ok.

Can you post a picture of the current fireplace so that we can see if there are any other potential issues?
There is no current fireplace. It is all new construction. I thought originally I could of built a hybrid on my own. I should of read the installation… oops. The fire rock product seems to fit what I want to do. The biggest concern is running the 6” liner up the metal fab double wall. I’d like to use a 1777 rated piping and attach directly to the insert. I don’t think inspector is bright enough to understand my plans. I figure why run the 14” 1777 listed chimney if all I need is a 6”. I want to run a Ss 6” double wall and wrap it with fire blanket they use for generator exhausts. That material is rated super high. And would definitely not have a combustible issue next to a wall or such.

There is no current fireplace. It is all new construction. I thought originally I could of built a hybrid on my own. I should of read the installation… oops. The fire rock product seems to fit what I want to do. The biggest concern is running the 6” liner up the metal fab double wall. I’d like to use a 1777 rated piping and attach directly to the insert. I don’t think inspector is bright enough to understand my plans. I figure why run the 14” 1777 listed chimney if all I need is a 6”. I want to run a Ss 6” double wall and wrap it with fire blanket they use for generator exhausts. That material is rated super high. And would definitely not have a combustible issue next to a wall or such.
Are the fire rock fireplace the insert the fireplaces chimney and the liner all approved to be used together?

Reactions: begreen
Yes, after getting the whole picture this sounds like a can-o-worms to deal with when it comes to inspection and insurance. A nice freestander will heat better. 600 sq ft is not a large area to heat, especially if well insulated. How open is the addition to the rest of the house?

Yes everything would be approved to work together. I didn’t know the Jotul unit is no longer made. The addition is opened up about 12 foot width to existing granite stone ranch. The new addition is cathedral ceiling as well. If I could get 70% of what I paid I would be happy. We only used it maybe 3 seasons. When we left, the wife said we are taking it with. So we installed a cheaply wood burner. I just talked to my buddy retired mason who said he could build me a masonry unit to house the wood burner and we could run triple wall up. Still kicking ideas around. That Rockland 550 was killer at last house. We loved it.

Yes everything would be approved to work together. I didn’t know the Jotul unit is no longer made. The addition is opened up about 12 foot width to existing granite stone ranch. The new addition is cathedral ceiling as well. If I could get 70% of what I paid I would be happy. We only used it maybe 3 seasons. When we left, the wife said we are taking it with. So we installed a cheaply wood burner. I just talked to my buddy retired mason who said he could build me a masonry unit to house the wood burner and we could run triple wall up. Still kicking ideas around. That Rockland 550 was killer at last house. We loved it.
So the fireplace says inserts are permitted? The chimney says liners are permitted? The insert says it can go into a prefab fireplace? And the liner says it can go into a prefab chimney?

If the answer to all of those is yes it is fine. If the answer to any one of those is no you can't do it.

Would it be cheaper to sell the insert as used for 50-70% of new price as they are no longer available and I bet someone really really wants one and install 75 % or great HHV free standing stove and get the 25 % tax credit on the whole install??

I didn’t make it all the way through the Pre fan fireplace installation in the manual.

Just some thoughts
Evan
What’s HHV.

So the fireplace says inserts are permitted? The chimney says liners are permitted? The insert says it can go into a prefab fireplace? And the liner says it can go into a prefab chimney?

If the answer to all of those is yes it is fine. If the answer to any one of those is no you can't do it.

So I was curious and looked at Jotul’s website. Do they offer wood insert units anymore. It says in my manual this unit isn’t avail even forsale after May 2020??

So I was curious and looked at Jotul’s website. Do they offer wood insert units anymore. It says in my manual this unit isn’t avail even forsale after May 2020??
Not currently

That’s weird, I googled them and couldn’t find info why they stopped making them. Did they have a lawsuit against them?
No they didn't get any ready for the new 2020 regulations.

Over time I expect we will see more offerings and at least one insert return from Jotul. The inserts were designed and created in Maine., primarily for the US market. But it could take awhile.