Installing a LANGE stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no UL tag means you need to be 36" from a combustable wall. I believe a noncombustable shield with a 1" airspace between the wall and the non combustable will give you a 1/3 reduction in clearance.
I would not blow of the inspection, you will want that incase you burn your house down and the insurance company doenst want to pay.

Even with more information, I doubt that stove was listed to be installed much closer than that.

Keep your families safety in mind, keep it 36" off the wall, or build a correctly constructed heat shield for the wall.

Your inspector is correct ,all appliances to be permitted require, them to be labled and listed. Ul listing did not start untill 1979. All prior stoves probably were not listed.

Myself I will not issue a permit. The NFpaapplies to stoves that are UL approved where no manufactures listing can be found. NFPA211 does not apply to unlisted stoves because they cannot t be permitted or installed Many states require both ul approval and EPA certified which did not occure till 1990 (EPA). Yes existing permitted installed stove are grandfathered and still can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.