Installing a wood stove... Need Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Is Good

Dec 13, 2012
My problem is that I need to remove the hot water baseboard heating unit that runs behind where the stove will sit. Not sure entirely if I have to remove it or not. Not sure if I cap it off on the two ends if it will disrupt the flow of hot water to the house because I think the system runs on a loop. Can I leave the heater there and adjust the firewall to fit around it? Ideally it would be gone. Help

Pics will help here to make sure nothing unusual is happening. Usually the baseboard heater is entirely non-combustible. If you are installing a proper wall shield, just start it an inch above the baseboard heater.

Maybe start from the beginning. What stove is this? Why the "firewall"?

Most Hydronic systems are series not parallel. So in my system, if I would do the same I would lose flow to that entire zone.

I have a somewhat similar issue . . . baseboard runs to within a foot or so of the woodstove . . . I ended up building the hearth around it . . . no issues . . . depending on how it runs you may also be able to have a plumber cut it out entirely or just a small section . . . when I get ready to do a rock face on the wall behind my hearth I intend to shorten up the baseboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.