Installing Gasket for Quadrafire Santa Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are tricky. First, make sure it's a genuine QuadraFire "tadpole" gasket. It will have a flat section that you put in the frame of the window, and that flat part is what holds the gasket in place. If you bought the gasket from a Quad dealer then I'm sure it's the right one.

There are two ways to handle putting in the new gasket. The first way is to leave it all in once piece and curve it around the corners. It works, but it also makes the gasket a bit thicker at the corners, and harder to close the door. You can also cut the gasket in three pieces, one for each side and one for the bottom (remember, the top doesn't get a gasket since it's an air wash. If you go that route, make sure you cut the corners at a 45 degree angle (think of the way three pieces of trim fit together around a door frame). The gasket will fit much better and the door will close easier.

I've done mine both ways - and cutting the gasket into three separate pieces seems to work the best. The door WILL close if you install the gasket in one piece, but it will be much more difficult - to the point that it takes a lot of force to get it to compress. Eventually over time it will get better as the gasket compresses down.

So, there's my two cents.

Winona Mary said:
I purchased a replacement gasket. I got it on, but now the door won't close all the way. Any suggestions? By the way, the Quadrafire website doesn't answer this question. Thanks.

Right after you cement the gasket in, you are supposed to close the door on a newspaper to let it dry. The newspaper is so it will not stick to the wrong side!

Actually the Quad Santa Fe doesn't have cement-on gaskets. It uses a "tadpole" gasket. Looks like a regular rope gasket but it has a strip of flat gasket material that sandwiches in the door glass frame that holds it in place, no cement necessary.

Of course since this is a proprietary Quadra Fire part, they charge a nice price for it. The last piece I bought several years ago ran about $40 or $50, but that was for something like 10-15 feet. It's enough to do the door at least twice, if not three times.

bcb1 said:
Actually the Quad Santa Fe doesn't have cement-on gaskets. It uses a "tadpole" gasket. Looks like a regular rope gasket but it has a strip of flat gasket material that sandwiches in the door glass frame that holds it in place, no cement necessary.

Of course since this is a proprietary Quadra Fire part, they charge a nice price for it. The last piece I bought several years ago ran about $40 or $50, but that was for something like 10-15 feet. It's enough to do the door at least twice, if not three times.

Hello

Well, I am fixing up a Quad CB1200 that needs a new door gasket. I paid $16 for the best graphite impregnated gasket. I will put that in and make it work. I refuse to buy one from the dealer and pay thru the nose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.