Installing Mendota FV41 - 2 questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

circusfreak

Jan 25, 2018
Minneapolis
Hi folks.
I am remodeling a family room and I took out an old Napoleon direct vent FP and am dropping a new FV41 in its place. Gas and electrical connections are obviously already there, so I just have questions about the venting.
The old one used flexible venting, and the new one uses solid Duravent pipe.I have the fireplace and some Duravent piping from the local fireplace store ready to install.
So my questions :
1. The Mendota manual says multiple times that 1000 degree milpak sealant is needed on the inner sections of the DV pipe. But the Duravent pipe literature itself says no sealant or gaskets are needed. The installer at the shop I bought the FP from also said I do not need sealant. So am I OK without it?

2. So do I need the vinyl siding standoff piece for the termination cap? Or can I just install it flush to the wall and have the siding up against the cap? (That's the way the old one was installed) The guy at the FP store didn't even ask if I needed one, so I assumed it's optional and will be fine without. But your advice please.

Thanks!

Follow the appliance install manual instructions for the venting.
That unit was tested with the sealant in between the sections.
If it was tested without the sealant, & passed the test successfully,
it wouldn't have instructed you to use it.

If it's called for in the installation instructions, I would use the stand off.
Melted vinyl siding will be tough to match up - colorwise.

Follow the appliance install manual instructions for the venting.
That unit was tested with the sealant in between the sections.
If it was tested without the sealant, & passed the test successfully,
it wouldn't have instructed you to use it.

If it's called for in the installation instructions, I would use the stand off.
Melted vinyl siding will be tough to match up - colorwise.

Thanks for the reply!
OK, better safe than sorry. Went to the dealer and luckily he had the standoff and the sealant in stock, so I'll use those.