Installing near a window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wmost

Oct 24, 2018
Central Pennsylvania
Hello all, first post here. I have my stove ready to install but I am having a bit of an issue. The only logical place for my stove is in front of a window. Do I have to run my vent horizontal out of the house below the window and then up, or can I vent up inside the house and then horizontal out above the window? I plan on sealing the window shut permanently in either case. Another option I was thinking about was horizontal out then a 90 degree away from the window some more horizontal, and then up. I do not know if have the extra horizontal venting is a good idea though. Thank you in advance for any advice!

I went out through the wall under the window, over and up. Depending on your location there may be code issues also, so check them also.

Just meet your minimum clearances per your owners manual. I have something to what you describe as scenario #3 on my P68.

Reactions: tlc1976
Or come out and cock a 90 elbow at 45 degrees then up.... More than one way to accomplish things. The 90* could be a clean out T.

Reactions: Ssyko
Or come out and cock a 90 elbow at 45 degrees then up.... More than one way to accomplish things. The 90* could be a clean out T.

Are you suggesting the vent goes up vertically at a 45 degree angle? That is interesting and as long as it works, I like it. I want to have the cleaning T right outside. I guess I could hook the 45 to it, but I would be losing vertical rise and have to place twice as much pipe to reach the required minimum 36" of rise, correct?

I would use two 45's. But whatever works with pipe length, clearance, etc; Too many fittings and you'll have to use 4" pipe.

Mine comes out between a door and a window, but I meet all clearances per the manual. I put about 6 feet of rise outside, so it exits with the proper clearance above the portion of the window that actually opens. Even though if it's cold enough to run the stove, I'm not going to have the window open anyway. Mine also said it must exit at least 7 feet above a "public" walkway. I probably didn't have to, but I treated mine as such, so another reason for the 6 ft rise after it exits the house.

Hello all, first post here. I have my stove ready to install but I am having a bit of an issue. The only logical place for my stove is in front of a window. Do I have to run my vent horizontal out of the house below the window and then up, or can I vent up inside the house and then horizontal out above the window? I plan on sealing the window shut permanently in either case. Another option I was thinking about was horizontal out then a 90 degree away from the window some more horizontal, and then up. I do not know if have the extra horizontal venting is a good idea though. Thank you in advance for any advice!
You only need to be 12 inches away from a window that does not open. How far below the window will the pipe be exiting the house?

You only need to be 12 inches away from a window that does not open. How far below the window will the pipe be exiting the house?
A lot of inspectors will not classify a window that was factory designed to open and then sealed shut a non opening window

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Not in my area... window has to be replaced with a factory non opening window. Reason being someone can remove the stops and make it a functioning window again...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk