installing piston cylinder on my husqvarna 351

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

David Schwab

Apr 3, 2018
33710-5365
I found it's difficult to find chain saw posts in this forum.
Here is my experience about installing piston cylinder on my husqvarna 351.
If you also have a piston cylinder kit on hand and like a DIY project,you could take it for reference.
The arrow on the piston needs to be pointing forward.The ring cannot be installed upside down! All moving parts should be coated with oil as they are assembled especially inside the jug. If you "jam" the piston into the jug, you'll be assembling a scored jug. The piston needs to be supported when you tap out the old wrist pin. This is a sample of how you can botch the job. This job needs to be done with knowledge and gentle hands.
My saw runs like a champ now.

Thanks for the post.
May I add my opinion?
The arrow on piston top doesn't necessary point forward. With some engine designs, it points down or other directions.
The arrow points toward the exhaust, in all situations.
In most cases, I remove the piston pin a little different. I press out using a long bolt, through hole in pin, and nut with proper spacer
I found it's difficult to find chain saw posts in this forum.
Here is my experience about installing piston cylinder on my husqvarna 351.
If you also have a piston cylinder kit on hand and like a DIY project,you could take it for reference.
The arrow on the piston needs to be pointing forward.The ring cannot be installed upside down! All moving parts should be coated with oil as they are assembled especially inside the jug. If you "jam" the piston into the jug, you'll be assembling a scored jug. The piston needs to be supported when you tap out the old wrist pin. This is a sample of how you can botch the job. This job needs to be done with knowledge and gentle hands.
My saw runs like a champ now.
to remove.
Bolt head need to be smaller then piston pin outside diameter and a tube that will allow pin to enter on exit side.