Installing stove pipe in cinderblock chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildharejim

Jan 6, 2013
Hey All,
Here is my question(s): Is single wall stove pipe sufficient in a cinder block chimney or should I go with double wall? Also, do I need to insulate the pipe or is it fine just as it is? It is a short chimney with draft issues, so I realize double wall would be better, but cost is a consideration as well.
The clearance inside the chimney if I use double wall will be less than 2", is this a real problem?
My other issue is the elbow at the thimble, I will have to use a single wall elbow in the chimney due to the size of the thimble(6") ,any thoughts here other than wrapping it in insulation?

Thanks, Jim

You don't put stove pipe in a chimney, you put a stainless steel liner in a chimney. Stove pipe (also called connector pipe) is used only to connect from the appliance flue collar to the building penetration...from there on it's Class A chimney pipe or a stainless chimney liner. Tell us all about your installation...the stove, the building, the existing chimney, everything. Then we can start to help you put a good safe plan together. Rick

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Hey All,
Here is my question(s): Is single wall stove pipe sufficient in a cinder block chimney or should I go with double wall? Also, do I need to insulate the pipe or is it fine just as it is? It is a short chimney with draft issues, so I realize double wall would be better, but cost is a consideration as well.
The clearance inside the chimney if I use double wall will be less than 2", is this a real problem?
My other issue is the elbow at the thimble, I will have to use a single wall elbow in the chimney due to the size of the thimble(6") ,any thoughts here other than wrapping it in insulation?

Thanks, Jim

What Rick said but with pics Jim and welcome to through web portal of no return ;)

Pete

You don't put stove pipe in a chimney, you put a stainless steel liner in a chimney. Stove pipe (also called connector pipe) is used only to connect from the appliance flue collar to the building penetration...from there on it's Class A chimney pipe or a stainless chimney liner. Tell us all about your installation...the stove, the building, the existing chimney, everything. Then we can start to help you put a good safe plan together. Rick
Okay, the tile liner inside my cinder block chimney has completely fallen apart. I need something inside it so I don't burn the house down. I have an older Fisher style wood stove connected to a 6" thimble inside the house. I do not want to disassemble the chimney, but rather drop something down from above.
The chimney is chimney cinder block with roughly a 9 1/2" opening for the the pipe. Chimney is 7' from thimble to top. Thimble is roughly 5' off the floor.
What do you think?

What Rick said but with pics Jim and welcome to through web portal of no return ;)

Pete

What if the OP were to drop 6" stove pipe from the top and then fill the gap between the pipe and existing liner with cement? It certainly wouldn't be as good as an insulated liner, but would it be safe to burn in?

Also, with chimney pipe, how do I turn at the thimble to go up the chimney, a 90 degree elbow? I do not see any for sale.

how do I turn at the thimble to go up the chimney, a 90 degree elbow?
The tee on the bottom of the liner is installed in 2 parts. The one part is attached to the liner and the snout, the horizontal part of the tee, is installed in the basement once the liner is lowered down.
! look around the 6:30 mark, it shows you how it works.

Reactions: CenterTree
Status
Not open for further replies.