Installing wood stove in heat circulating fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OldhomesMASS

Jan 23, 2022
Massachusetts
3F9457A8-64E9-419F-A869-7CCAC4442393.jpeg

Hello Y’all,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on installing a wood stove / insert into one of these old “ vestal air “ heat circulators. It appears these metal fireplaces are put in place , connected to the flu and masonry installed around the whole assembly. I only have 24 inches of height for my rear stove pipe to then connect to a thimble before leading up the chimney through a 6 inch liner which I have yet to install. My main question is, has anyone installed a wood stove on one of these systems.

I also need to address my clearances as far as combustibles…. Larger hearth, remove wood trim / mantle

We seem to get a few of these each month. This is a heatform style fireplace. It can be done as long as the insert fits the space. Depending on the insert choice, the mantel clearance might be ok, or it might require removing the bottom trim and cutting that down.

Reactions: OldhomesMASS
We seem to get a few of these each month. This is a heatform style fireplace. It can be done as long as the insert fits the space. Depending on the insert choice, the mantel clearance might be ok, or it might require removing the bottom trim and cutting that down.
Thanks for the reply and identification as a heat form, I found some great info. It seems I would need to do the following...
1. Install 6 inch insulated chimney liner
2. Remove flue door and install block off plate
3. Consider combustion clearances.
4. Extend hearth
5 . install a rather small insert to accommodate the 25X 27 inch opening.

If I went the wood stove route with the hope of better heating......
In order to accommodate a wood stove that could heat the1000 square foot space ( 1800's farmhouse) Im thinking that I would have to vault the course of bricks in the front, remove the steel lintel that is 25 inches high. However I was looking at the HearthStone Castlton and the rear vent will be 23 at the top, two inches below the lintel. Would it be ok to have my 6 inch vent pipe that close to the lintel? I didn't find anybody yet in the forum who has installed a wood stove. I have only seen inserts placed in the opening.