Integra II performance (air wash venting)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Our Rika (Astroflamm) Integra II has been a challenge to operate and maintain. We've been plagued with issues like:
  • Err 0 (no fuel) with plenty of fuel and a full hopper of pellets. There's little ash in the ash pan and lots in the rear heat exchanger section. Also, ash builds up and clogs the holes in the burn pot.
  • Err 3 (low airflow?) I worked with the vendor through the "secret menu" options to work around this.
I think these problems may be related to the fact that we're venting into a 12x12 square ceramic flue in a 30' tall chimney. I suspect the stove is having to work hard to overcome that tall column of cold air. Future plans include installing a liner. We are running a 4" double-wall pipe to the chimney thimble.

After reprogramming via the "secret menu" the exhaust blower fan seemed to be working much harder than it had before - I'm guessing to overcome the lack of chimney draft. I noticed recently that a lot of air was being pulled in around the front glass as "air wash" to keep the glass clean. So I thought I'd experiment a bit and temporarily seal the glass wash inlets at the top of the glass. The results were profound. Although the glass does get dirty more quickly the stove seems to run much better. The ash pan actually accumulates ash now, the burn pot clogs up in days/weeks instead of hours, and the exhaust fan seems to be running at about half the rate that it was before.

Also, our basement (where the stove is located) is noticeably warmer, I'm guessing because most of our combustion air is coming in through the outside air source now rather than around the glass which was causing cold air infiltration throughout the rest of the house.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this in case its of interest to others.

Also, if anyone has access to the settings in the "secret menu" I'd love to know more. The vendor that provided our stove no longer provides support.

Last edited:
U must have a cold space if the sir coming in from the airwash is colder then the outside combustion air. What probably is happening is since u sealed the airwash you are forcing the stove to only pull from combustion air making it work more efficient. Air will take the path of least resistance and the air from the airwash does not really help the burn...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

U must have a cold space if the sir coming in from the airwash is colder then the outside combustion air. What probably is happening is since u sealed the airwash you are forcing the stove to only pull from combustion air making it work more efficient. Air will take the path of least resistance and the air from the airwash does not really help the burn...

I'm trying to say that the house is warmer because I'm not causing outside air infiltration elsewhere in the house because, as you said, I'm getting more of my combustion air from outside since I sealed around the stove glass.

nicely done. :)

Duhhh now that makes sense...lol.

No worries. Sometimes I confuse myself.

Reactions: zrock