Intro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Core

Dec 15, 2015
Bridgewater,MA
Long time lurker wanting to finally add some input to a great forum of very knowledgeable and friendly people. I have a small cape in Massachusetts with an old Heatilator with masonry fireplace that I converted to a beautiful wood burning insert from Travis Ind in December of 2012. I installed a flush mount Fireplace X purchased from a dealer locally with an insulated Stainless liner with rain cap etc. I have been burning only hardwood seasoned a minimum of two years(as recommended by everyone here) and finally cleaned out the pipe and insert this year where there was literally about 1/2 cup of creosote that came from the mesh cap at the top of chimney. Because of the information located here I was able to safely install, clean, and enjoy a great heating system for my family. Installation was not easy but was great learning process while doing it. If you read this post and are considering an insert please insulate your liner, build an insulated block off plate and season your wood for a year past what you think is ready, and follow manufactures specs regarding clearances and you will enjoy the 76-78 degrees in your house like we did during last years brutal winter.

It's always great to hear another story of safe, successful operation facilitated by this place! :cool:

Welcome and congratulations. Any chance of getting a picture or two of the setup posted? We love to see fire!

Nice light show!

Status
Not open for further replies.