Invicat Chamane 14 installation of pip from burner to T-piece

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

invicta chamane

Oct 16, 2022
slovakia
Hello Everyone,

Im at my witts end trying to figure out how i can instal the pipe from the Chamane to the T-piece. Problem is, i cant install it directly below (in a vertical pipe style) cant move TV anywhere else.

We need to have it off=set to the right of the T-piece (wall connection). The chimney flue is a 200mm Pumice stone coming through the top of the roof.

Im reading conflicting things. Questions i have.

1. How long should the vertical pipe from burner be before the turn? (minimum 30cms? Or more than 60?)
2. What angle (elbow piece) should i use? (30 degree? 45 degree?)

Would love to hear people's thoughts. The shops here are really useless when it comes to advise.

In photos, the top of the burner (we love this Invicta chamane burner) (of course manual is in French only, which does not help).

top of the burner to the bottom of T-piece (in the wall, angled down) is approx 700mm (70cm)
i also added two options i thought might be possible.

1. diagonal (but not possible if you first need vertical pipe length)
2. "up and across"

or

3 ? Is there an even better way to attach the pipe?

The top of the burner is 180mm and the t-piece in wall is 200mm.

Many thanks for your help. We have two young children in the house and really want to make the connection as safe as possible.

invicta chamane 14 installation.jpg Invicta chamane 14 option 1.jpg invicta chamane opt 2.jpg

If the draft is good and the flue height from the tee piece up to the chimney cap is tall enough, say 5 meters or more, then I would connect the stove per the middle diagram. Be sure that each pipe joint has 3 screws, 120º apart, securing them.

Reactions: invicta chamane
If the draft is good and the flue height from the tee piece up to the chimney cap is tall enough, say 5 meters or more, then I would connect the stove per the middle diagram. Be sure that each pipe joint has 3 screws, 120º apart, securing them.
Thank you for your reply.

Good point about the height of the Chimney. It will be close to 5M id need to drop tape measure in from top of the chimney and measure to know exactly.

Regarding the connection on the joints, do i also need to use a "fire cement" to seal the connections? As well as using 3 self tapping screws?

And the Elbows could be 30 degree or 45 degrees? If it was done at an angle (diagnol) like this, there is approx 1 meter (100cms) length from top of stove to t-piece.

There is no need for cement at each joint. You may need a flue adapter to go from 200mm to 180 at the stove. The crimped end of the stovepipe points toward the stove.
I prefer fixed (rigid) elbows as opposed to adjustable elbows. These typically are 45º. The pipe manufacturer usually provides offset tables to help determine the exact length of the connector between elbows. Your options in Slovakia may be entirely different.

UPDATE:
Pipes in place. Everything looks good, just need to attach pipes with the small black screws for metal.

Angles look fine. strong pull from chimney, (pumice 200mm with 180mm pipes to stove) I will also use some fire sealant for a few joints (make it looks better as it will disguise joints.

then last would be nice to have a coloured smoke tablet just to make 200% sure no leaks.

Hopefully this will help someone else should they need to offset a chimney flu like this.

IMG_20221021_130545937_HDR~2.jpg

Reactions: begreen
All we need now is to see some fire in the belly of the Invicta.

UPDATE:

So... I did the "1st" Test fire so to speak. Wanted to burn off the "paint".

Turns out i made the fire too small the first time and it did not get hot enough, it seems you need to get to around
75c+ for the factory paint to burn off, which i discovered last night at 9pm.

Not the best to have all windows open (including roof window) for the next 40mins,
boy did it smell strong, and really nasty for a good 40 mins. 😩

When the flue started to cool down, below 50c i heard a "pop" noise. 😳
The connection at the T-pipe (pipe to wall) "popped" and came apart by around 3mm.
All the other pipes have connections, 3 screws in each.

I bought a wall brace/bracket to hold top part of pipe today and it will be here by the end of the week.
it will prevent this "popping" i hope.

Happy with the fire, but i have only used it with compressed logs, that burn fast and seem to have little effect on the air intake controls, it did not matter if it was fully open or fully closed as it still burned strong (which i found a bit strange).

Images included.

Oh and the "fire flue piepe sealant" (the stuff you use in a tube ) dries hard and cracks and falls off, is that normal also? As it seems like a total waste of time to do.

insert popped open.jpg two compressed logs.jpg

Is the stove pipe screwed to the flange on the wall thimble?
Close the air off all the way once the logs are burning well.
Yes, stove cement will crack and fall off. It's not a good use of this product.

Hi Be Green,

Is the stove pipe screwed to the wall thimble?

the wall thimble is the "sticking out" section of wall (T-piece) if so, then the insert that goes into wall is a 200mm to 180mm reduction piece.

should I have screwed 3 or 4 screws into it and if so from the outside or inside, not quite sure what you mean.

I have 3 screws where the flange goes into the elbow.

Today the Wall bracket arrived and is firmly attached to the stove pipe and the wall. I had to remove the section on pipe (longest) to fit the collar of the bracket over it then put it back together.

then i went to drill the holes in the wall for the plugs... But the top elbow section was in the way, so had to remove the pipe again... :eek:

to drill the holes but all looks rock solid now, my mind is at rest, and will give first another test today.

I would really love TO KNOW it is common for the pipe that goes into the wall to make this "popping" (almost suction-type popping noise) or is it just because its new and setting in?

in Summary, ALWAYS fit the wall bracket before you put the pipe together. :)

PS: i never got any type of reply from Invicta main website in France either, very poor customer service.

pipe wall bracket.jpg

I'd say the sound depends on the space there is for the pipe to expand when it gets warm. If the connections are really tight, it might make sounds.

Could the sound be caused because I have the pipes installed upside down? 😫😭

I have just realized, the pipes don't fit into each other pointing down. So the creasote could drip outside of the pipes in time.

now I have new problem (can not get anyone at all to even look at the fire until mid January) I need a new part that will fit on the Inside of the stove top/flange.

but this also brings a new problem, the pipes I have are 180mm going into 200mm at the wall.

the top of the Invicta chamane is 160mm wide.

I found a reduction piece online. these look like they are made to sit over the top of the stove.flange, but in a way, they have a "ledge/shelf" which would cause the creasote to run into the fire as it should.

if I use this, then I now have 160mm pipe to fit into and I need 180mm

so can I use this part (pictured) upside down? but it needs to go at least 30mm inside to be safe? (which really does not look possible as inside of flange goes from 160mm to 150mm)

I'm really regretting starting this project. Really can't believe how Invicta France offer zero help and zero installation instructions. I would avoid this brand at all costs.

also the shop we bought it from are completely useless. 😭

16675615039803596056807405839639.jpg 16675615766565571895961898976055.jpg