Is 272xp enough saw for milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nope it’s not smooth. I took my muffler off to inspect and thought I had everything tight. I did not re lock tite . The bolts back out and I cracked the mounting holes in the muffler in a tank. Oh and I found one internal bolt missing.
Good reminder!! Thanks

When I last milled and the saw decided not to cooperate, I too looked at the piston. Did not re lock tite the muffler bolts. Will take a look. Vibration master that g660 is!! Put on the dogs for bucking the other day. Tightened the bolts very well. After few hours one of the dogs fell off😜

Good reminder!! Thanks

When I last milled and the saw decided not to cooperate, I too looked at the piston. Did not re lock tite the muffler bolts. Will take a look. Vibration master that g660 is!! Put on the dogs for bucking the other day. Tightened the bolts very well. After few hours one of the dogs fell off😜
Mine too. I forgot what I needed, but it was cheaper to buy a kit on Amazon with a new set of dogs. Might have been bar nuts. Or a tensioner. Or the chain plate. Come with the nut and or bolt I lost when mine came off. I never put the dogs back on after the first cut on the mill.

It's just a big bore saw thing. Remember, these saws have engines large enough to require a license if it were mounted in a moped. My 395 likes to vibrate the flywheel cover screws loose. I got annoyed by it one day and over torqued two of them... the shanks are still in there and I just check on the two remaining screws every tank or so.

It stopped raining this morning at one point. I figured, might as well go and finish bucking them logs😜. I had 2 (30”) sugar maple, 2 (25”~) yellow birch and 1 (17”) hemlock left to cut. Last night cleaned the saws, toped up the fluids, hand filed the chains (starting to dislike that Grenberg gizmo, takes too long to set up).
Went at one of the sugar maples with the 660. It did a good job. I was happy with my hand filing…..maybe I am finally getting it! By the time i was done with it the tank was empty. I figured, maybe the 261 can handle the other logs (birch/hemlock). I must’ve done a great job on that chain! It destroyed that birch and hemlock in no time. And it only took 2/3 of one tank.

Again, well said….”use the smallest saw possible for any job”

Reactions: Nealm66 and EbS-P
Pics from yesterday. None today due to rain.

2D4ECCB6-DF32-424F-93A2-10221043E7C4.jpeg 25D555F5-9415-468C-A30B-D0B9C7DAFFC2.jpeg

Reactions: Nealm66
Last night cleaned the saws, toped up the fluids, hand filed the chains (starting to dislike that Grenberg gizmo, takes too long to set up).

That's why I like the 2in1 .. just start filing

Last night cleaned the saws, toped up the fluids, hand filed the chains (starting to dislike that Grenberg gizmo, takes too long to set up).

That's why I like the 2in1 .. just start filing
The 2 in 1 doesn't work for milling. The Granberg is going to give you a much more consistent cutter than the 2 in 1 as well, but to each their own. As you get better at using the Granberg it's pretty fast to set up. I started out free hand filing with a jig, like the 2 in 1, but a Husky version, and I'm never going back to files after getting a bench grinder.

Reactions: EbS-P