Is a block off plate a good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ET160

Sep 12, 2014
Maryland
Hi, new member. I had a Jotul years ago and am now looking to have a Hearthstone Castleton installed in my house in an existing masonry fireplace.

I'm a little confused about my options. I know I need a liner, but a couple of installers say that there is no need for a block off plate. They will fill the damper space with an insulating blanket. Another installer agrees that it's a good idea to have a plate.

I like the idea of the block off plate and presume that the guys who say the blanket is enough don't want to get involved with making a plate.

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks.

It's a good idea if this is an exterior chimney. So is an insulated liner if this is the case.

Both a block off plate and insulated liner are very good ideas and many stove installers don't want to do either i really don't understand why you would think they would want the stove to preform as good as possible. And i don't see that it matters if it is interior or exterior personally especially for the insulation

Thanks for the replies. It's funny; the place that will install the block off plate won't install an insulated liner. The other guys who will install the insulated liner won't install the block off plate.

That is weird usually it is all or nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.