is an over fire more likely to happen??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2005
nw burbs of Chi
Got my insert last year and burnt nothing but kiln dried (mc 6%) wood in it
Never over fired, max temp on stove surface was around 525deg

This year, I've got some white oak slabwood and some silver maple....

When I burn the slab, or the maple, the fire burns alot cooler stove surface is 350-450

If I got back to all kiln dried, are my chances increased of an overfire?

Where is the thermometer placed? If on the face, it might be reading a bit cool.

It's hard to say whether you would overfire. Is the fire still easy to regulate? It sounds like you are a careful burner and have the process of burning KD wood down pat. If you always have the blower on and keep it well regulated, it should be ok. But I wouldn't be surprised it the stove top was more like 650-700 degrees at that point.

The change of the wood will certainly not be the cause of the over-fire. You burned real dry wood before, and went to something with a little more moisture in it....it burned different (no big surprise). If you go back to the Kiln dried stuff - as long as you do what you did before - you shouldn't have a problem.

yes, the thermometer is on the face right above the door (is there a better spot for it?)

I'm just thinking, if i'm burning a bit cooler, more creosote is building up, then I go hotter, theres more stuff to catch on fire in the liner right?

Not necessarily. The stove and you could be burning just fine, albeit at a lower temp for the new wood. However, if the slab wood is green or only half seasoned, then yes, creosote build up is possible. If this is a big concern, hire a sweep to check the chimney or inspect the interior of the stack yourself. (Be careful!)

Status
Not open for further replies.