Is blower required on newer gas fireplaces (Heat n Glo 8000CL)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ynotwood

Oct 26, 2007
SE MA
Online Research shows that some vented gas fireplaces do not come with blower (Heat n Glo 8000CL). They say there is plenty of heat that comes off ceramic glass (but not tempered class) so that blowers are not required. But then Heat n Glo sells the 8000CLX with blower. What am I missing here. Will be placed in New construction, 18ft ceiling with ceiling fan, vented fireplace. Suggestions or thoughts?

The blower is NOT required, but if it's installed BEFORE installation by the Hearth Shop where you bought it, it'll cost you less...
It's also easier to install while the unit is up on an assembly bench, than it is lying on your belly.
If you decide later to have the blower installed by your hearth shop, you'll pay for the blower AND the service call.

Reactions: Lennox65
Online Research shows that some vented gas fireplaces do not come with blower (Heat n Glo 8000CL). They say there is plenty of heat that comes off ceramic glass (but not tempered class) so that blowers are not required. But then Heat n Glo sells the 8000CLX with blower. What am I missing here. Will be placed in New construction, 18ft ceiling with ceiling fan, vented fireplace. Suggestions or thoughts?
In addition to the radiant heat from the glass, direct vent fireplaces are designed to use convection. Cold dense air is drawn in through the lower cavity and heated by the combustion area and expelled as heated air at the top opening of the fireplace. Adding a blower increases the amount of air that is moved through this cycle and pushes it a little further into the room.
If you are choosing between an 8000CL and an 800CLX, get the CLX.

In addition to the radiant heat from the glass, direct vent fireplaces are designed to use convection. Cold dense air is drawn in through the lower cavity and heated by the combustion area and expelled as heated air at the top opening of the fireplace. Adding a blower increases the amount of air that is moved through this cycle and pushes it a little further into the room.
If you are choosing between an 8000CL and an 800CLX, get the CLX.
Thanks for the reply. I know the 8000CLX has the blower but I do not like the extra LED embers on it and the extra cost. My supplier says a blower can be added to the 8000CL. I was thinking of doing that if necessary. Not convinced that it will help much.

The blower does make a difference in spreading the heated air throughout the room. The CLX also has a slightly higher btu rating as well and a few more percent in efficiency.

Blowers are not required- but they always make a fireplace disperse heat better. X2 for the CLX, its more powerful and a nicer unit. And yes, we are spending your money for you, but you'll be happier down the road with that choice. Keep warm.