Is felt under hearth pad okay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
I'm putting down a modular hearth pad as shown in this picture, which has three connecting pieces (two shown in picture). The pad will sit on top of plywood, which will be on top of my existing wood floor. As the pad sticks out pretty far into the room, I am hoping to be able to remove the third piece (in front of the stove) when not in the heating season in order to get back some of the wood floor for part of the year. In order to move this piece out without scratching up the wood floor, I was thinking to put furniture felt pads under that piece of plywood (just the part under that section of the modular hearth pad). The hearth pad is more than double the R value required for the stove. So, my question is, is it safe to put furniture felt pads on the bottom of the plywood that will be between the hearth pad and the wood floor?

IMG_3051.jpg

Cant tell you about the fire safety issues, not my field. For the felt (if permitted), try getting a full felt liner. Felt as a 2' x 3' strip for instance. You can purchase that at the craft stores like Michales or JoAnns fabrics, or from Amazon. If using the small furniture pads, you will be creating a narrow gap along the floor. That could allow some small items like a cinder, piece of wood, etc, which upon taking up the pad may introduce a chance to scratch the underlying hardwood.

I'm putting down a modular hearth pad as shown in this picture, which has three connecting pieces (two shown in picture). The pad will sit on top of plywood, which will be on top of my existing wood floor. As the pad sticks out pretty far into the room, I am hoping to be able to remove the third piece (in front of the stove) when not in the heating season in order to get back some of the wood floor for part of the year. In order to move this piece out without scratching up the wood floor, I was thinking to put furniture felt pads under that piece of plywood (just the part under that section of the modular hearth pad). The hearth pad is more than double the R value required for the stove. So, my question is, is it safe to put furniture felt pads on the bottom of the plywood that will be between the hearth pad and the wood floor?

View attachment 226276
It should be no problem.

It should be no problem.

I like idea of full piece that way nothing can get under it. Natural wool felt is flame resistant and self extinguishing so won’t allow slow smolder if piece of charcoal were to sit against it. May be overkill but that’s what I’d do.
1dc0d09b60470957a947bab520d020c9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: