Is it just me or...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mettlemickey

Mar 5, 2014
UK, Warwickshire
Is it just me or is this chap in danger of chopping his fingers off!?

Not just criticizing for the sake of it, try to work on my technique.

This looks a better swing, what do people think?

I've done it plenty of time, still have all 10......gotta be quick. One time using the splitter, I pulled a finger out of my work glove, and stuck the empty finger between the wedge and split while my buddy worked the controls, and let out a scream.......you should of the look on his face, I thought he was gonna pass out;lol

It seems low risk until you are missing fingers. Why chance it, when there are many other ways to do it? A tire like your second post, a wood chip shim under the split, another split as a prop, the other hand holding a stick on the side or top of the split, and on and on... I'm not saying all of these are without precaution either, but certainly less of a gamble.

Well having brushed up by watching a few videos, I tried out my new Fiskars yesterday and I wasnt disappointed! Tried to follow the second video as i like the swing that doesn't reach behind you, it seems more efficient.

Not just criticizing for the sake of it, try to work on my technique.

This looks a better swing, what do people think?

Tossing splits in the truck just like that is exactly how I ended up with lateral and medial epicondylitis on my left arm.

That wood looks as though it splits a little easier than the wood in the preceding video.
Ease of split often affect style/approach/swing.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to split your wood within a couple of paces of where you are stacking it....

Not sure why you wouldn't want to split your wood within a couple of paces of where you are stacking it....
I split most of my wood where the rounds lay. It's easier moving splits than rounds.

Wheel splitter to pile of rounds, split, and toss into loader bucket. When bucket is full, drive loader over to stacks and do the stacking.

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to have my rounds stacked right where I'm going to stack the splits, but more often not.

Status
Not open for further replies.