Is it worth buying a log truck (say 3-4 mbf) for firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
This outfit is advertising on CL in the Northwest. I'm wondering if any NW folks here may be familiar with this company or anyone else has any thoughts on this idea.

I'm losing my usual supply of cordwood but I'm capable of bucking and splitting (I actually enjoy it) but I'm not sure of the economics, not being familiar with the logging business. This would be Douglas Fir.

I have read that on average, you should get a css cord from around 500-550 board-feet. Does that seem about right? So for example, 4 mbf should get me around 8 cords css if true. My property borders an adequate road.

I wanted to get some input from you guys before calling this company or any other. There is quite a bit of cutting going on around here now, but I don't know the questions to ask. I was thinking maybe I could ask for smaller logs not otherwise suitable for the mills. That's what this company seems to be doing. And should I buy by the mbf or cords, like this guy is advertising?

Any suggestions welcome!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/d/quality-firewood-logs-2-cord/6542560526.html

Here is a local ad from SE CT for comparison.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/d/firewood/6556895718.html

In this area prices range from 100 - 125 / cord for log length hardwood up to 250 cut / split / seasoned.

Cutting from a log pile can be a bit challenging & has some safety issues (bar pinches, logs rolling, etc) but if you have a truck / tractor / winch to help get them off the pile it can be quite fun & productive.

They don't give prices in that listing so it's hard to know if it's a fair deal.
My neighbor and a friend of mine have both purchased log loads in the last few years. I can't remember the exact number for my friend's deal. My neighbor paid $800 for a load that was supposed to equal 10 cords. The seller made it a big load for him to make up for a previous dump truck load that had some rotten wood in it. I think the loads are supposed to be at least 8 cords once they're worked up.
It's usually a mix of whatever is available. I helped my buddy cut up the loads he bought. They were all fir and hemlock that probably wasn't fit for a mill because it was all crooked or split trunks. Size varied from very small up to 24" diameter. The neighbor's load was really nice maple and fir, mostly in that easy to manage size range of 10 to about 18" diameter. The dump load my neighbor got before was mostly big fir and hemlock.

I contacted them and inquired about a full log truck.
He said it would be around 10 cord and cost $1400.00.
No thanks.

Price seems to have jumped quite a bit the last 2-3 years. Not sure if I called them or somewhere else but it was one of the only ads on Craigslist advertising log truck loads and it was right at 1000 for about 10 cords.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Reactions: Sprinter
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I haven't called them yet, so thanks for doing that rwilly. I was hoping for much less; about what tegbert said. I'll do some calling around and see about alternatives. I have heard lately that D. Fir has had some problems with needle drop disease and that may account for prices. I'll do some more research and see about alternatives. There is a large private stand near us that I think is being prepared to clear cut. Maybe I can work out something there since it's so close.

Maybe I've been spoiled with my freebie scrounges, but the prices I'm seeing for delivered firewood really suck now. In the "olden" days, a friend and I used to go up to a nearby Gifford Pinchot forest and cut good wood for nearly nothing. Those days are surely gone. :( (As is my indestructible '66 Chevy beafed-up 3/4 ton...) Oh well.

You could contact some local tree services. Some will keep a list of people wanting firewood.

This outfit is advertising on CL in the Northwest. I'm wondering if any NW folks here may be familiar with this company or anyone else has any thoughts on this idea.

I'm losing my usual supply of cordwood but I'm capable of bucking and splitting (I actually enjoy it) but I'm not sure of the economics, not being familiar with the logging business. This would be Douglas Fir.

I have read that on average, you should get a css cord from around 500-550 board-feet. Does that seem about right? So for example, 4 mbf should get me around 8 cords css if true. My property borders an adequate road.

I wanted to get some input from you guys before calling this company or any other. There is quite a bit of cutting going on around here now, but I don't know the questions to ask. I was thinking maybe I could ask for smaller logs not otherwise suitable for the mills. That's what this company seems to be doing. And should I buy by the mbf or cords, like this guy is advertising?

Any suggestions welcome!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/d/quality-firewood-logs-2-cord/6542560526.html

I bought a load from these men last summer. Bought and paid cash for what they said was 2 or 2.5 cords. Nice guys, nice truck, showed up on time. Logs were obviously waste from a logging or clearing operation, not saw logs or anything but that’s okay.

Well, I processed it after removing some rotten junk it was way under the promised cordage. I called with the exact amount of measured underage (is that a word?) and they happily sent me a cashiers check for the difference. This seems to be their business model.

Price per cord was the typical 120-150 and with “guaranteed” cordage I did not feel robbed. Would use them again.

Next time will probably use the Belfair guy with the 6 cord for 700$ dump truck loads. It’s a better price.

If you use those guys in your link be sure to process, stack, and measure right away to get your refund.

Next time will probably use the Belfair guy with the 6 cord for 700$ dump truck loads. It’s a better price.
Thanks Highbeam. I couldn't find the "Belfair guy". Hate to ask, but could you link an ad? Thanks. That sounds much better. At least the original guys do make it right. But frankly, it really shouldn't be necessary. When we first moved here, I bought some alder loads but were way under "cordage". No big surprise, but I made a deal with them to help me split it down and stack to make up. I was okay with that but again, it just shouldn't have been necessary. How complicated is a cord? But this is why I'm looking for a load that will take me a few years ahead without going through all this every year.

Thanks Highbeam. I couldn't find the "Belfair guy". Hate to ask, but could you link an ad? Thanks. That sounds much better. At least the original guys do make it right. But frankly, it really shouldn't be necessary. When we first moved here, I bought some alder loads but were way under "cordage". No big surprise, but I made a deal with them to help me split it down and stack to make up. I was okay with that but again, it just shouldn't have been necessary. How complicated is a cord? But this is why I'm looking for a load that will take me a few years ahead without going through all this every year.

I’ll try to remember. I’ve never bought from him but his ads are very frequent on the Seattle/Tacoma cl. “Firewood logs” are my search terms. He seems willing to travel but north of Seattle is a long haul!

I’ll try to remember. I’ve never bought from him but his ads are very frequent on the Seattle/Tacoma cl. “Firewood logs” are my search terms. He seems willing to travel but north of Seattle is a long haul!
Thanks. Travel distance is one of the big problems in this business for sure. Belfair would be a haul to my area too (central Lewis Co.) I'm probably going to have to find a reliable source close by. I'll work on it. You would think this area would be a piece of cake for wood here, but right now, people are starting to build more houses so everything is going to the mills. My real estate friend tells me it's pretty hot now.

So, I'll have to get resourceful. That's the fun part anyway. I could pay more, but that's no fun.;)

Thanks. Travel distance is one of the big problems in this business for sure. Belfair would be a haul to my area too (central Lewis Co.) I'm probably going to have to find a reliable source close by. I'll work on it. You would think this area would be a piece of cake for wood here, but right now, people are starting to build more houses so everything is going to the mills. My real estate friend tells me it's pretty hot now.

So, I'll have to get resourceful. That's the fun part anyway. I could pay more, but that's no fun.;)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/for/d/firewood-logs-thirty-yard/6561063867.html

Here's the ad. His ad claims delivery to Lewis county. Haven't used him but did see he runs a logs wanted ad for 200$ per load from loggers so you can see that he plans to spend 500$ on all of the non-log costs including profit.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/for/d/firewood-logs-thirty-yard/6561063867.html

Here's the ad. His ad claims delivery to Lewis county. Haven't used him but did see he runs a logs wanted ad for 200$ per load from loggers so you can see that he plans to spend 500$ on all of the non-log costs including profit.
Thanks Highbeam. It's especially interesting that he aims to buy at $200 per (his) load. That gives me a better idea about what I might be able to reasonably offer a local outfit especially if he knows I don't need mill grade logs. Great info. Thanks again.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks Highbeam. It's especially interesting that he aims to buy at $200 per (his) load. That gives me a better idea about what I might be able to reasonably offer a local outfit especially if he knows I don't need mill grade logs. Great info. Thanks again.

If you use him please post back with a quote so I see your impressions. I’ll need a load this summer.

If you use him please post back with a quote so I see your impressions. I’ll need a load this summer.
I will do that. I think I'm going to look into some local sources, though. A lot of logging going on around here, mostly on private land. It just seems to me that any large tree stand would have a lot of trees not usable by the mills. I've also noticed a few clearcut areas that have alder left standing. That's okay too.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens and I'll be interested in how you make out too.

:)

I will do that. I think I'm going to look into some local sources, though. A lot of logging going on around here, mostly on private land. It just seems to me that any large tree stand would have a lot of trees not usable by the mills. I've also noticed a few clearcut areas that have alder left standing. That's okay too.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens and I'll be interested in how you make out too.

:)

The low quality logs are referred to as “manke” logs which is the pulp mill in Tacoma. They’ll take anything but at a low price. This means that anything long enough to go on a log truck and not rotten can be sold to the mill. The chunks and butts are what go to firewood. Too short for the log truck.

Those leftover standing trees are usually on purpose to meet requirements of the forestry plan for habitat or natural regeneration.

I love alder! Great fuel wood. I actually prefer it to fir.

I love alder! Great fuel wood. I actually prefer it to fir.
Thanks for the info. I'm lost when it comes to the logging business but I like to learn new stuff.

I like alder too actually. Not quite the heat value of some others but makes up for it in other ways. Splits like butter, dries quickly, easily available, etc. Also very pretty if you are a wood worker. I've heard that it's catching on again as a tonewood for guitars too. I didn't realize that the operators have to leave some species like alder for regulatory reasons, so thanks for that.

I'm not "married" to fir but that's what is being cut here, so I figured that was a good target for a large load. It also dries nicely and splits well too. Fortunately, I have some time to figure out what's best in the long run. I've got about two years worth right now. As I said before, sometimes the hunt is what's fun.

Keep in touch if you find a great source;)

Thanks for the info. I'm lost when it comes to the logging business but I like to learn new stuff.

I like alder too actually. Not quite the heat value of some others but makes up for it in other ways. Splits like butter, dries quickly, easily available, etc. Also very pretty if you are a wood worker. I've heard that it's catching on again as a tonewood for guitars too. I didn't realize that the operators have to leave some species like alder for regulatory reasons, so thanks for that.

I'm not "married" to fir but that's what is being cut here, so I figured that was a good target for a large load. It also dries nicely and splits well too. Fortunately, I have some time to figure out what's best in the long run. I've got about two years worth right now. As I said before, sometimes the hunt is what's fun.

Keep in touch if you find a great source;)

Sprinter, did you ever buy a load? I've finished my wood shed and want to fill up half of it this summer. The Belfair guy is still advertising.

Sprinter, did you ever buy a load? I've finished my wood shed and want to fill up half of it this summer. The Belfair guy is still advertising.
Hi Highbeam. Sorry, no, I didn't. Turns out my stepdaughter is going to build on the 5 acre parcel next to us and will be clearing a lot of trees. What the loggers don't want to take to the mill, like the alders and such, I'll be able to have as firewood. So I'm very fortunate there. I think I'll ask them to strip the logs I want and stack them for me for a fee.

I wish you luck. I know it's getting hard for me to find anything anymore to scrounge. I just hope she doesn't change her mind, but she's already applying for permits. If it works out, it will be very nice.:cool: If not, I'll get back to you...;)