Is Jotul f600 to big

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weed

Nov 25, 2014
North Carolina
I have been looking for a wood stove for my shop. It is about 1300sq ft and is divided into 2 rooms about equal size. It is insulated but has a large uninsulated garage door in one end. I have found a Jotul f600 that was used for about 3 years and has been stored in the garage since. My main concern is, is this to much stove for that space? Also what should I look for when I inspect the stove? Thanks

Are you planning to only fire up the stove before you are working in the shop? To get a cold structure heated up you can hardly go too big. The Jotul will be good as it also gives off some nice, radiant heat. Make sure to feed it dry wood and build a tall enough chimney. Check also with your local code and your insurance that they don't consider your shop a garage since most of the time a solid fuel burning appliance is not allowed in there.

Reactions: cheechblu
I have a 2400 sq. ft. 2-story home that cooks with the F600 when temps don't go below 40. We cruise it at 500-550, so if you load it light, you may do alright. Depends on which side of NC you live on. And you can always open up a window when you're ready to pass out.

I will probably run it pretty much all the time when its cold. From what have read it may be to big for my shop. I have also found a 1970s 118 for sale close by and it may be a better fit.

Reactions: cheechblu
I think there is every reason to believe that is too much stove for that space with your climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.