Is moisture content additive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianK

Hi folks,
Due to unforeseen circumstance (an imminent career move which is taking up most of my free time) my wood gathering just is not happening the way I had hoped it would this summer. I've had time to get in some kiln dried oak ends from a local hardwoods manufacturer and could easily get enough for the entire winter (see photos). They fill my 16'x6' trailer with 2' sides (1.5 cords) for $50. Four of those loads is about six cords and I'm putting it in my basement (using the coal chute) and garage in bins I've constructed for that purpose.

The kiln dried stuff has moisture content well below 10% but doesn't last through the night. It's too small. It's fine during the day. We just have to load up the Fireview more often.

I do have a lot of ash, cherry and maple still needing CSS for the coming season. (I'm just setting aside the oak for now.) But by the time I get around to it, it will not be adequately seasoned for the coming winter. I also have approximately half a cord of CSS ash from last year (on the right in the second photo below) ready to burn this coming season.

So my question: if I burn a combination of the very low moisture content kiln dried oak (<10%) with the higher than desired moisture content ash, cherry and maple (>25%?) this winter, is the moisture content "additive"?

I.e., <10% + >25% divided by 2 = 17.5% averaged?

Does the very low moisture content of the kiln dried oak permit the use of the other high moisture content wood in combination? Or will it still cause concerns with creosote build up?

I think I saw this discussed in the past, but I'm not sure where, or what the consensus was.

Thanks!
Brian
Johnstown PA

Attachments

• kiln.JPG
    kiln.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 245
  • kiln chute.JPG
    kiln chute.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: ScotO
I'm going to risk a no here. Whatever moisture that is in each individual split, even if it is at just 3% moisture, will have all of its H2O driven out by heat. IMO the 15% number we kick around here is a level that becomes an acceptably workable humidity level with today's EPA stoves.

*edit* I'd like to add, what a nice haul of oak! Do you have to hand bomb it on to the trailer?

what a nice haul of oak! Do you have to hand bomb it on to the trailer?
Thanks!

Fortunately they use a large front end loader. You pay $25 per front end loader bucket full. Two scoops from that front end loader ($50) almost fills up my trailer. And the good ole boy running the loader always throws some more on to make the trailer FULL. It's about 60 miles away but for the quality of the wood, kiln dried, it's worth the trip to me. I put a link in my original post to their website in case anyone else is close enough to take advantage of it.

great find, but wheres the fun in buying it that way....you're missing all the fun of cutting and splitting......yeah right, wish i had a mill close by. think i'd bring the front end loader operator a six-pack, pie or something as a little token of the "extra" consideration of rounding out the load.

cass

Thanks!

Fortunately they use a large front end loader. You pay $25 per front end loader bucket full. Two scoops from that front end loader ($50) almost fills up my trailer. And the good ole boy running the loader always throws some more on to make the trailer FULL. It's about 60 miles away but for the quality of the wood, kiln dried, it's worth the trip to me. I put a link in my original post to their website in case anyone else is close enough to take advantage of it.
Well then, it's good to be you!

My stove would burn the 25% stuff just fine, but the answer to your question is NO

Nice trailer. Nice haul. Nice score.
Burning dryer wood with wet wood helps keep the temperature up, but you will get some creosote build up from burning the wet wood, just not as bad as if you were burning all wet wood.
Creosote isn't something that "Oh my, I can't burn this wood", you just need to inspect & clean the chimney more often. Hotter fires keep the flue gas temperature hotter & you won't get as much condensation of the gasses inside the chimney creating creo. Type of chimney & stove, how long you burn it hot, outside temps, moistures content etc. are factors of creosote build up. Wet wood with a slow smoldering fire is the worst & causes creo. to build pretty fast.
Mixing the drier & wet stuff will help, but not prevent creosote.
Just inspect and clean the chimney. You will be OK. Eventually you get a time line on how often it need cleaned & as your wood gets drier, you'll notice less & less creo.

Brian, where the hell have you been? Lol, just bustin ya buddy. I know you've been busy! I didn't realize that Kitko was still selling their mill scraps, I used to get a truckload off of them here and there but I really don't need the stuff anymore because I'm so far ahead. My buddy Mark is engaged to one of the Kitko girls. We also got those scraps all the time for our hunting camp up on Tipton mountain. I'm agreeing with the other guys and saying "no" to your question in the original post. Oh you will be able to burn that 25% wood, and probably get decent heat of of it by combining it with the mill scraps, but you will be getting significant "boil off" from the really wet wood, and that's gonna cause you problems in the flue. Trust me. You still have plenty of time to get some of your ash, maple and cherry split and stacked, with this hot dry weather it'll most likely be ready for late fall/winter (make the splits on the small/medium side, around 3x3 to 5x5 inches). As for the oak, there's no way that will be ready for this year, your looking at at least a year and a half to two years......

Trust me. You still have plenty of time to get some of your ash, maple and cherry split and stacked, with this hot dry weather it'll most likely be ready for late fall/winter (make the splits on the small/medium side, around 3x3 to 5x5 inches). As for the oak, there's no way that will be ready for this year, your looking at at least a year and a half to two years......
Thanks Scott.

Yeah, the oak will just have to wait. I'm up at my dad's today in Hollidaysburg. They had a violent thunderstorm here last night and lost power for about 6 hours. The winds brought down a half dozen medium size live black oaks in his back woods as well as a medium birch. But the three dead oaks are still standing. I'll have plenty to do there this fall but it looks like we won't be getting around to those dead oaks we looked at as soon as I had hoped.

Thanks Scott.

Yeah, the oak will just have to wait. I'm up at my dad's today in Hollidaysburg. They had a violent thunderstorm here last night and lost power for about 6 hours. The winds brought down a half dozen medium size live black oaks in his back woods as well as a medium birch. But the three dead oaks are still standing. I'll have plenty to do there this fall but it looks like we won't be getting around to those dead oaks we looked at as soon as I had hoped.
I was out by your dads the past two days, too! Yes I can't believe how many trees went down in that short storm, crazy! We were cutting some dead oaks for a doctor down by Fiore Toyota.....got one more dead white oak and two large tops that snapped off in that storm for him next weekend. Don't worry, when we get some time this fall or winter I will still get those monster oaks for you at your dads....they ain't going anywhere. If the other trees that came down arent in the way, we'll buck them up this winter too. We'll wait for some cooler weather, this job I am doing now is the last one until later in the fall, I gotta get my fireplace and living room project done or dear wifey is gonna have my arse in the wringer!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hi folks,
Due to unforeseen circumstance (an imminent career move which is taking up most of my free time) my wood gathering just is not happening the way I had hoped it would this summer. I've had time to get in some kiln dried oak ends from a local hardwoods manufacturer and could easily get enough for the entire winter (see photos). They fill my 16'x6' trailer with 2' sides (1.5 cords) for $50. Four of those loads is about six cords and I'm putting it in my basement (using the coal chute) and garage in bins I've constructed for that purpose.

The kiln dried stuff has moisture content well below 10% but doesn't last through the night. It's too small. It's fine during the day. We just have to load up the Fireview more often.

I do have a lot of ash, cherry and maple still needing CSS for the coming season. (I'm just setting aside the oak for now.) But by the time I get around to it, it will not be adequately seasoned for the coming winter. I also have approximately half a cord of CSS ash from last year (on the right in the second photo below) ready to burn this coming season.

So my question: if I burn a combination of the very low moisture content kiln dried oak (<10%) with the higher than desired moisture content ash, cherry and maple (>25%?) this winter, is the moisture content "additive"?

I.e., <10% + >25% divided by 2 = 17.5% averaged?

Does the very low moisture content of the kiln dried oak permit the use of the other high moisture content wood in combination? Or will it still cause concerns with creosote build up?

I think I saw this discussed in the past, but I'm not sure where, or what the consensus was.

Thanks!
Brian
Johnstown PA

Brian, you've got some good advice. I also agree the answer to your question is no.

What I would suggest for burning that ash and cherry (is maple hard maple or soft?) is to get it cut, split and stack really quick. Split it small, stack it in the windest spot you have and if it gets sun, so much the better but wind is more important. Stack it rather loosely and not very high else it will be tipping over stacked loose. But stacking it loose will allow best air circulation.

For burning, definitely mix it. However, I would also advise you not engage the cat as soon as you would normally. Don't be afraid to wait 20-30 minute before engaging because this will allow more moisture to burn off and got up the chimney rather than through the cat. Check the chimney often; monthly if necessary. Check the cat a bit more often too. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.