Is my fireplace "prefabricated"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Gold

Feb 6, 2013
We have a fireplace in our 1970's vintage split. There is a full -- massive actually - masonry chimney and a brick face. The floor of the fireplace is brick. The back and sides of the fireplace are steel. Would this be considered "prefabricated?"

I ask, because we are purchasing a set of doors for the fireplace and several products indicate they are not for prefabricated units.

FWIW, the fireplace did have doors attached many years ago when we bought it.

We have a fireplace in our 1970's vintage split. There is a full -- massive actually - masonry chimney and a brick face. The floor of the fireplace is brick. The back and sides of the fireplace are steel. Would this be considered "prefabricated?"

I ask, because we are purchasing a set of doors for the fireplace and several products indicate they are not for prefabricated units.

Post a pic if possible

It sounds like it is probably what is referred to as a heat form. It is a prefabricated box but built into a full masonry structure. And for the most part they are treated like a masonry firebox. Post some pics to be sure but you can probably get whatever doors you want. You do need to make sure that box isn't rusted out though

Reactions: Tech Guru