Is my LPG stove reaching its full potential???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

turbotom1052

Jan 14, 2015
vermont
Ive just recently put into service an older Hearthstone Sterling that Ive rebuilt and installed to supplement my wood stove, especially during shoulder season. Was just wondering if stovetop temps on high, burning LPG, in the range of 250f to 260f is consistent with this stoves capabilities? It should be noted that Im measuring these temps with 2 different Rutland stovetop thermometers that read consistent with each other. Theses thermometers are both being placed next to each other on the top of the stove in the center. Im recording these temps after running on its highest setting, until it reaches a steady state over the course of about 2 hours.

Can you post a pic of the flames burning?
thanks once again for your ongoing support Bob. Here's a few shots I just took . Perhaps it would help to know Its a straight up venting though the roof with a total of around 13 feet of top exited 6 5/8" direct vent. outside temps during these photos are 50f here in Vermont at about 1100 feet of elevation.

IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0608.jpg

thanks once again for your ongoing support Bob. Here's a few shots I just took . Perhaps it would help to know Its a straight up venting though the roof with a total of around 13 feet of top exited 6 5/8" direct vent. outside temps during these photos are 50f here in Vermont at about 1100 feet of elevation.

View attachment 299950 View attachment 299951 View attachment 299952
Should also be noted that until I can get my Fuel provider here to install a large tank I am running it off of a 40 lb LPG tank with a single stage regulator thats factory set to 11" of water.

The flames look a little low. How long has it been burning?
Those pics were taken after the stove had been running on high for about 2 hours. Ive had the stove with higher flames and although it looks better, it did not result in any higher stovetop temps. For me to get the higher flames I needed to adjust both air shutters all the way towards the back of the stove. This also resulted in soot buildup on the logs and on the faux firebrick. Although a nice lightshow would be great, my primary objective would lean towards heat output!!!

Try adjusting your air shutters so that the base of the flames at the burner are blue with yellow tips at the top. If you get to the point where the tips are orange you’re starving for air & it’ll soot up on you. As far as the stove temps go, you’re probably at the max. That stove has a heat shield below the top stones so that that blower will pick up a maximum amount of heat…

I think ive got it about as good as its gonna get then. Ive got as you say blue flame where it comes out of the burner and yellow flames licking up high enough to look good without sooting. I guess im gonna have to live with 260F stovetop temps. Im figuring out that this thing will never get even close to as hot as my Hearthstone Heritage wood burner did!!!

Reactions: DAKSY