Is my stove installable??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julesdavis

Oct 23, 2006
I have a Jotul copy made in Taiwan--it has a relief on both of its rectangular sides of elk, deer, etc. I'm trying to get it installed and keep being told that I need a manual and that it should have a manufacturer listed on it somewhere but it just states "Made in Taiwan" and the people I bought it from say it is a copy of a "Jotul." Anyone know what it might be so that I can find out if it meets installation criteria? Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 375
Scandia knockoff of a 118? It's unlikely you'll find much documentation and I suspect almost certainly it wouldn't pass inspection.

Thanks...it has a 4 3/4" inside diameter pipe opening, here's another pic from that side--still think there's no hope? what is it about it that makes it unpassable? Just because it's plain old wood smoke going out the chimney?

Attachments

• picture 008 (2).jpg
    picture 008 (2).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 322
No EPA certification. Not even a plate on the rear of the stove is a red flag to an inspector. Box stoves can get very hot. You want good quality castings, tight seals and good air control. All missing on this stove. It's hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as the saying goes. Do a search on the forum for Scandia for more information.

FWIW, if you like this style stove the current Jotul model is F118CB.
http://www.jotul.us/content/products/ProductArticle____3122.aspx

Jules lets start over go to the wiki section of this site and read the new to stove owner article then the sister article how to purchase a used wood stove.

The reason a permit will not be issued is the inspector is protecting you from a possible compromised situation. As BE green put it these are poorly made stoves the castings are very thin and not of that good of quality. the loading door has no gasket to control air and probably a poorly made stove of that age the seams are pourous and leaky. When you get that stove going it would be real easy to get into a dangerous overfire situation that you cannot control.

Back to step one, please explain your current setup in which you planned to install a stove. How open is your floor plan? How were you intending to vent it.
The more info you supply the better we can help and make recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.