Is PFI classification useful for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
Can Pellet Fuel Institute certification help me select pellets for next season? I'm buying a few bags from different suppliers, comparing them with pellets I used this season (my first), checking web sites, and looking at comments here. I read the PFI specs on its website and I see how a manufacturer that follows the specs and gets tested would meet minimum standards. But there seem to be lots of good manufacturers not certified, so I won't make a PFI stamp on the bag a requirement before I buy. Other things being equal, does certification mean that the pellet quality is at least OK?

IMO - Until there is enforcement of penalties for manufacturers who don't comply. It's hard to put much weight on the fact that a pellet manufacturer is a member of the PFI. Some manufacturers were scrambling to make a product during the high demand and willingly let quality suffer to just in an effort to output a product (and make money). Once the PFI is fully established and enforcing the specs, maybe we will see their logo mean something. I think that the PFI can only have credibility once consumers begin to trust any product coming from a manufacturer who is a member of the PFI. Once that happens then consumers will begin to look for the PFI logo on pellets that they purchase and only want products that are a member of the PFI. Pellet manufacturers who are not a member will start to see sales decline as consumers will lack the trust to purchase their product. They too, will then feel pressure to become a member of the PFI and produce a pellet which meets the specs of the PFI in an effort to stay in business and compete.

That's the future as I see it. For now though, the best way to make a decision on purchasing pellets is to try several bags prior to a bulk purchase. Make your own decision. Forums and other methods of "word-of-mouth" reviews on pellets is probably the second best way to aid in a decision.

I agree with codebum, The future might be something of meaning for the PFI label. I have seen both good and bad with or without the label. May have been just a rush to produce them.

Had a batch of hamers that were absolute junk with label and so called Ultra Premium. And I got a few bags of no name no label that were awesome.

just my 2
jay

I personally prefer to stick with brands that have the PFI label on them
but as the others have mentioned, this does not guarantee that they are the
best of the bunch and you will like them. There are alot of brands out there
right now with no label that some people love.

Best way to know which pellet is best for you is try a few bags before
commiting to a ton+ of them.

Stentor said:
Other things being equal,
does certification mean that the pellet quality is at least OK?

I'd say no since I've read negative reviews here on pellets that have the PFI stamp.

I'm beginning to think that PFI may have long term promise but limited current value, as other posters are saying. I got a few bags of OKANAGAN pellets, softwood from B.C. Canada and they are burning well. But I was struck by the printing on the bag: "Meets Pellet Fuel Institute Super Premium Pellet Standard" and did not have the PFI logo. If PFI were a strong brand organization they would enforce use of their logo. But by far the most important point is that I am trying these OKANAGANS and they seem fine. As long as they work for me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.