is popping normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I had a good hot fire going awhile ago.Nothing crazy but you could realy see the secondaries burning at the top of my quadrafire 7100. Putting off good heat. I did notice stove was making a popping sound once in awhile. So I shut the damper down to lower the fire.Is this popping normal with a good hot fire?

perfectly normal.....all stoves have their pops, creaks, pings, and taps.....

My NZ does it too, especially when getting up to cruising temp. I actually enjoy the pings and taps from my 1900p in the kitchen......lets me know that the stove is climbing in temps. And when they start really going, I know it's time to close it off a little so the secondaries can do their thing....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks guys,New to this wood burning.Learning allot on here and enjoying it.Got my new addition closed in and roofed and insulated finally (30x33) with a new walk out basement under it and this thing keeps it 70+ deg no problem. Basement still cool,I put the aux return air through the floor and using it hoping to circulate warm air down there but haven't noticed an improvement yet but just did it yesterday.May have to warm the concrete up first.

Reactions: ScotO
I had a good hot fire going awhile ago.Nothing crazy but you could realy see the secondaries burning at the top of my quadrafire 7100. Putting off good heat. I did notice stove was making a popping sound once in awhile. So I shut the damper down to lower the fire.Is this popping normal with a good hot fire?
If mine didn't do that I would wondering what's wrong..lol.

Reactions: corey21 and ScotO
It's the "sound of heat."

Status
Not open for further replies.