Is there a "best" time to buy an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
Been an avid reader of many threads in this valuable forum, I have narrowed down my choices of a potential insert for my fireplace. I have a good idea on what to do for my liner and where to look for the best product for my situation.

Is there a good time to purchase an insert from a dealer that essentially offers the best sales/deals?

How far is it reasonable to travel to speak/look at other dealers (I know that is a personal choice but I ask)?

Is calling various dealers for pricing appropriate? (I am not a fan of looking at a dealers display items and then searching online for the same product at a cheaper price - after all the dealers do have overhead they have to pay so its proper to buy it from them. I call this internet stealing.)

Obviously summer would seem the best time (I'm in the Mid Atlantic) but is that true, I have never purchased an insert or fireplace product in the past?

You should probably start looking at them soon. Measure your opening - Height, Width, Depth top & bottom
& visit your local (or not so local) hearth shop...Many dealers will sell their floor burning models at the end of
the season - at reduced prices - & still give you the full warranty. Maybe you could find one that fits your needs
& put "dibs" on it.

When you find one you like download manuals and specs do lots of reading then post pictures of your installation and where unit is going to be placed

I found all my best deals on stoves around march when they seem to go on sale. I assume they don't want to sit on them til fall so they mark them down to move them, at least the big box stores seem to.