Is There a Difference Between Type A Pex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank-ly

May 22, 2015
Wilmar, MN
Any difference between Wirsbo hePex and the stuff Menards sells called Sioux Chief "Pex-A Oxy Barrier"? If it helps, the Menards site says it is:
  • For use with PowerPEX™ A Fittings
  • Compatible with all F1960 PEX Expansion Systems
Or, are all Pex A's the same?

At $116 for a 1/2" x 300' the Sioux Chief so much less costly than the Wirsbo hePex. This will be used for radiant floors.

Well.........to be completely honest. Concrete is pretty much forever (or $$$$$ to re-pour) I would, and always do use as tried and true, systems below a slab as feasible. This would not include PEX of unknown origin. Once it's poured there is really nothing you can do if some splits and fails in 10 years. I use Mr.PEX, Wirsbo/Uponor, or even a Watts product. PEX-Al-PEX is very nice to work with for slab work as well, and it 100% oxygen tight.

TS

Reactions: flyingcow
I'll ditto that. I use Uponor Hepex only.

I used Wirsbo AquaPex for my home plumbing (not floors heating) and I was very impressed with it. No metal fittings to corrode or fail. I turned my water on and never had a single leak!! My Carpentry buddy says Wirsbo is the best Pex out there, and I believe him, he has an eye for quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.