is there a log lift option for DHT 22-ton splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reading the specs on that machine, states only for splitting wood 18" and under. I don't need a log lift for stuff that small.

I'd like to work with one or at least check one out up close. In theory and in pictures, it looks like a great buy. Sadly, I'm usually very disappointed in the quality of these lower end Chinese tools.

I'm no high roller, and don't pretend to be. But a lot of this generation of lower priced equipment ends up being so crappy, I'd rather spend the extra money and get something better that I know will last and I won't have to work on and can enjoy while I'm using it.

Stuff like that 75$ motor that it comes with doesn't do much for me.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Search "Gorillabac" on this site. I have posted a review on the Gorillabac log lifter. I actually have the same splitter you have (DH 22 Ton). After speaking with the owner of Gorillabac- DH 22 ton log splitters come in different configurations. You will need to go on the Gorillabac website and download the owners manual to check on the dimensions of the web on your splitter.

Reading the specs on that machine, states only for splitting wood 18" and under. I don't need a log lift for stuff that small.

I'd like to work with one or at least check one out up close. In theory and in pictures, it looks like a great buy. Sadly, I'm usually very disappointed in the quality of these lower end Chinese tools.

I'm no high roller, and don't pretend to be. But a lot of this generation of lower priced equipment ends up being so crappy, I'd rather spend the extra money and get something better that I know will last and I won't have to work on and can enjoy while I'm using it.

I think the 18" max log is only for the 4-way wedge adapter. I agree, I can pick up 18 inch logs ALMOST all day long.

Search "Gorillabac" on this site. I have posted a review on the Gorillabac log lifter. I actually have the same splitter you have (DH 22 Ton). After speaking with the owner of Gorillabac- DH 22 ton log splitters come in different configurations. You will need to go on the Gorillabac website and download the owners manual to check on the dimensions of the web on your splitter.

I shopped these before as an alternative to building my lift. I think it is a great product but I finally decided to build a lift due to my circumstances. I use whatever the good Lord gives me. The wood I use is almost always deteriorated and can be dead standing, DS and punky, or fallen and/or punky. I would not feel secure using a screw fastener or tongs to lift the deteriorated rounds I cannot lift myself. I feel very secure behind the beam on the other side of the platform. Add all my circumstances to a slow cable speed and it just doesn't work for me.

Reactions: saewoody
Yea, that makes sense.

I am very lucky in that all my wood is procured for free from friends and neighbors that have very large oak, ash, walnut and hickory trees.

Do you use the Gorillabac with your splitter? IMO, and with a few exceptions, almost any splitter is better than doing it by hand. I have never used a lift-platform before, besides a tractor bucket, and it has given my a totally new perspective regarding this task and using more of the machine to accomplish the splitting tasks.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Do you use the Gorillabac with your splitter? IMO, and with a few exceptions, almost any splitter is better than doing it by hand. I have never used a lift-platform before, besides a tractor bucket, and it has given my a totally new perspective regarding this task and using more of the machine to accomplish the splitting tasks.

A tractor with a bucket would eliminate all the guess work except for the money part.

I like the simple design of the manual log lift attachment that comes with the Split Second

Just a 6 foot long lever arm, no extra hydraulic cylinder, no cables and pulleys. Why aren't other manufacturers copying this simple robust design? Specs list 180 lb limit. What diameter of an 18" long oak round would that be?

I wonder if I could adapt it to fasten to a DHT beam?

I saw this earlier and for some reason I thought you were talking about the cables Gorillabac system.

I do not see why it cannot be adapted for other splitters.

Here is a link. I am impressed AND, the framing does not sound tinny.

https://www.ebay.com/i/331620481610...0%26rvr_ts%3Ddfd2dd591650ab1de8c331c3fff45df8

Reactions: Jazzberry
Yeah sorry for the confusion i was watching YouTube on my phone and posted the wrong link

I like that Split Second manual log lift. Nothing to break or fail as long as you keep it under the weight limit. Simple 6 foot lever arm. Doubles as a work table to queue up 5-6 smaller rounds.Removes with a couple pins. Wonder if i could pay a local welder to make a version with 350 pound capacity...?

Yeah sorry for the confusion i was watching YouTube on my phone and posted the wrong link

I like that Split Second manual log lift. Nothing to break or fail as long as you keep it under the weight limit. Simple 6 foot lever arm. Removes with a couple pins. Wonder if i could pay a local welder to make a version with 350 pound capacity...?

I think most hydraulic lifts limit the weight to 500 pounds. This sounds like a good idea.

According to this calculator, an 18 inch x 24 inch round of live oak is 310 pounds.

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_weight

A tractor with a bucket would eliminate all the guess work except for the money part.

The tractor has its own problems and dangers. Working alone or having a helper that is not in sink. Then you have the cost per hour of running the additional equipment.
I plumbed in a 3 point unit to sit on the ground so all I had to do was roll the round onto the beam. I would break it up to sizes I could handle. However, I found that setup and takedown added about two more hours, even with quick connects, if I did not leave the equipment at the staging area.

Here is my setup....

IMG_20180823_145659.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-16-18-07-13-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-16-18-07-13-1.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 253
VirginiaIron,

Yes, you are spot on the oil level.

I had just changed the oil and pulled the splitter out for the season. Apparently I hadn't stroked the hydraulic back and forth enough times as there was still a little bit of air in the system and the level was a touch low.

All fixed now.

Thanks

We have a DH22 splitter and bought the GorillaBac Log lift and it works just as the many youtube demos show. The DH is great and there is nothing cheap about the GB quality. I actually spoke to Lift Rite Log Company and found out the whole support frame is fabricated in the USA. I recognize the winch is not, but it has been reliable and keeps the overall cost reasonable. Maybe for an extra couple hundred the winch could be upgraded? But, that would put it out of our price range. We found them at https://www.gorillabac.com. Our favorite video is http://www.youtube.com/c/GorillaBac-Log-Lift