is there a log lift option for DHT 22-ton splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
Looking at a Dirty Hand Tools 22-ton splitter. Is there a log lift option for getting those larger rounds into horizontal position? I like the manual lift I see on the kinetic splitters, just a simple long lever arm. Also looks like it can be used as a work table of sorts to queue up 5-6 smaller rounds. Would like to avoid custom fabricating something; I have enough projects!

Looking at a Dirty Hand Tools 22-ton splitter. Is there a log lift option for getting those larger rounds into horizontal position? I like the manual lift I see on the kinetic splitters, just a simple long lever arm. Also looks like it can be used as a work table of sorts to queue up 5-6 smaller rounds. Would like to avoid custom fabricating something; I have enough projects!

It tilts to vertical so you don't need to lift anything. Rounds stay on the ground while you split.

No log lift that I've seen.

It tilts to vertical so you don't need to lift anything. Rounds stay on the ground while you split.

I've never used the vertical option - seems like it would not be very ergonomic to be working on the ground, trying to move 300-lb rounds into position. Even a simple ramp would let me get the rounds onto the beam in horizontal position. I see a local guy renting a splitter - I may try it out in vertical position and see if it works for me.

Also, I notice the 22-ton unit has been replaced by a 25-ton model. Are the specs otherwise the same, as far as cycle time, etc?

Reactions: kevin j
As to the vertical splitting I do most of the work from a chair and use my knees to help maneuver the rounds.

Reactions: Dataman and Ashful
I do not think so. The very small problem with adding a lift to the V/H splitters would be the need for a support under the beam to prevent the WHOLE unit from tipping over.

Lol power tilt. Leaving it hitched would be an easy fix for it but it looked like it almost went sideways also. Hope he had a garage door open while he was running it.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Lol power tilt. Leaving it hitched would be an easy fix for it but it looked like it almost went sideways also. Hope he had a garage door open while he was running it.

It's a very inspirational video. All he needs is a center stand or like you said, leave it hitched to the vehicle. It's a simple design just about anyone could add to their H/V unit.

I like the simple design of the manual log lift attachment that comes with the Split Second

Just a 6 foot long lever arm, no extra hydraulic cylinder, no cables and pulleys. Why aren't other manufacturers copying this simple robust design? Specs list 180 lb limit. What diameter of an 18" long oak round would that be?

I wonder if I could adapt it to fasten to a DHT beam?

I've never used the vertical option - seems like it would not be very ergonomic to be working on the ground, trying to move 300-lb rounds into position. Even a simple ramp would let me get the rounds onto the beam in horizontal position. I see a local guy renting a splitter - I may try it out in vertical position and see if it works for me.

Also, I notice the 22-ton unit has been replaced by a 25-ton model. Are the specs otherwise the same, as far as cycle time, etc?
It actually works very well...some split all their wood this way while sitting on a short round or milk crate.
Myself, I only split vertical when I tow the splitter to where I'm cutting, use it to half or quarter the rounds so they can be loaded in the truck. When I get home I setup next to the wood pile, split right off the back of the truck.
A little tip, put a scrap piece of 2 x 4-6-8 (whatever) in front of the splitter beam "foot", this will help keep the large rounds vertical and parallel with the beam so you don't have to hold it until the wedge meets the wood.

These lifts and that Gorillabac are pretty nice. Using the vertical mode on the smaller splitters really isn't that bad. I've made up a big sheet of wood that I use to slide the monsters on. I'm 6'3, and it's not that bad if you only do it for a while.

Big rounds are a pain no matter what, but going vertical is a lot faster than that Gorilla system, especially if you're working alone.

These lifts and that Gorillabac are pretty nice. Using the vertical mode on the smaller splitters really isn't that bad. I've made up a big sheet of wood that I use to slide the monsters on. I'm 6'3, and it's not that bad if you only do it for a while. Big rounds are a pain no matter what, but going vertical is a lot faster than that Gorilla system, especially if you're working alone.

I agree. I actually prefer big wood over smaller wood. Sitting on a round splitting vertical is much easier on my back vs lifting a ton of smaller stuff up to the horizontal table. That winch contraption looks like a pita but a nice hydraulic lift table looks like it would be much easier and faster.

Last edited:
yeah the GorrilaBac looks really kluge-y. I could flake off 3-4 perimeter pieces with the Fiskars faster than I could attach the screw and winch it up the in the air. Also having that size round swinging around in the air is a potentially dangerous pinch point situation when it comes down.

I think the vertical split option should be fairly painless to get large rounds into 1/4's, esp if I can use my pickaroon from standing position to get them into place. Then flip back up to horizontal to finish them.

Reactions: saewoody
i have used the vertical method for quite a few of the bigger pieces. I prefer the horizontal method, but it is nice to be able to switch, get them in a manageable size, then split them horizontally.

I have been very happy with the dht 22. It looks like they still have them for sale... a few different engine styles.

I remember seeing a youtube video of a homemade lift table that used an electric winch for power. Cant find now it but it was very interesting the way it worked.

To answer my own question, the manual log lift that sells with the Split Second model (for an extra $400) lists 180 lb weight limit, which requires 50 lbs of downforce. At 65 lbs/ cubic foot for wet red oak, 180 lbs is an 18" diameter x 18" long round. Not huge, but something I would need to noodle down or split vertically before lifting it up on the beam.

https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Split-Second-45-0507/p50939.html

I wonder why they didn't double it to, say 360 lb capacity, which would require 100 lb of downforce. Risk of tipover? 360 lbs is a 26" diamter red oak round, which covers a wide range of potential scenarios, while leaving out the true monsters.

Reactions: saewoody
I remember seeing a youtube video of a homemade lift table that used an electric winch for power. Cant find now it but it was very interesting the way it worked.

I stayed up late last night streaming YouTube videos of homemade log lifts. Some truly ingenious and stout inventions out there, from hydraulic, to electric winch, hand winch, ramps, etc. Was hoping I could just buy an aftermarket lifter, because while I can build anything out of wood, I don't own a welder or have any metalworking experience.

i have used the vertical method for quite a few of the bigger pieces. I prefer the horizontal method, but it is nice to be able to switch, get them in a manageable size, then split them horizontally.

I have been very happy with the dht 22. It looks like they still have them for sale... a few different engine styles.

good to hear another positive review. Which is the desirable engine? This listing just says "Reliable DHT 196cc 6.5 HP engine"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Ton-Hal...al-Log-Splitter-Dirty-Hand-Tools/292174528869

it looks like they have the Kohler and their own line of engine as well. Not sure about their engines, but the Kohler has been kicking for a while on mine.

The DHT stuff is great, and their service is fantastic. I picked my unit up from their factory here in CO. I have a heavy duty string trimmer from them too...

alright I'll look for the Kohler engine; the other one says "Loncin" which I've never heard of

is the 25-ton splitter just the new version of the 22-ton splitter? Seems like the specs are very close, but same engine and "slightly" slower cycle time?

I think the 22 and the 27 had the same specs (27 was just slower) and the 25 and the 30 were the same spec (again, 30 was just slower).

The 22 has been more than enough for all of the elm I have thrown at it. The nice thing about these engines is they are cheap if you need to replace them. You can pick up a harbor freight engine (predator) for less than $200 if it craps out on you. Not that it is ideal, but could work if needed.

Reactions: Jazzberry
This Rugged Made lift is back in stock. You could mod it to fit your specific unit. Like 4x4 tractors, I would want a log lift for a horizontal splitter.

https://www.ruggedmade.com/parts/sp...MI8tC91t243QIVjCSGCh1SzwP2EAQYAyABEgKKGfD_BwE

My problem is now you're into it for about $600 after you do all the mods and upgrades. Your splitter is now heavier, harder to move, and more stuff in the way. I just don't find tipping them vertically to be that difficult or inefficient when I need to.

My problem is now you're into it for about $600 after you do all the mods and upgrades. Your splitter is now heavier, harder to move, and more stuff in the way. I just don't find tipping them vertically to be that difficult or inefficient when I need to.

I was just offering an option for the op. I agree with you about the additional investment and weight. One would be better selling their unit and just purchasing the Rugged Made 22T push through with lift for $1500

https://www.ruggedmade.com/log-spli...-lift-48-563-322-rt06ec-13-225-150-ll-ct.html

I get what you said about just using the vertical unit and sitting or kneeling. For me, I am much stronger at a height equal or above the waist. I really struggle below that height and would need to work on my knees.

I was just offering an option for the op. I agree with you about the additional investment and weight. One would be better selling their unit and just purchasing the Rugged Made 22T push through with lift for $1500

https://www.ruggedmade.com/log-spli...-lift-48-563-322-rt06ec-13-225-150-ll-ct.html

I get what you said about just using the vertical unit and sitting or kneeling. For me, I am much stronger at a height equal or above the waist. I really struggle below that height and would need to work on my knees.

I like that setup, lot of machine for the money. That's the cheapest I've seen one with a log lift on it. Pretty cool.