Is there another source for fiber baffle insulation in a Quadrafire Isle Royale?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyWoodburner

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2010
Southeastern NY
I have a love/hate relationship with my Quadrafire Isle Royale.
It burns beautifully but some of the design seemed to done by a fourth grader.

The vermiculite isulation board which protects the flip back damper needs replacing and they want $79 at the dealer... is there an alternative source where I could buy a sheet since the material is quite fragile.

bump.

I don't know the answer, but I'm also curious whether individual sheets of this material
are available commercially to be cut to size.

Sounds like a good price. Id support the local dealer so they can be around when you need stove specific parts and service

Good price? It's a small little board. $ 79 seems high to me.

I have the same issue with my stove's window/door gasket. I've check several places to find a cheaper replacement but can't and its $48 for a few feet of combo adhesive window / rope door gasket from the dealer.

This is the same dealer that installed the stove without adjusting the door - which has caused the failure of the previous gasket.

Seems like you could find that board cheaper and cut to fit your stove. But I don't know where.

basswidow said:
Good price? It's a small little board. $ 79 seems high to me.

I have the same issue with my stove's window/door gasket. I've check several places to find a cheaper replacement but can't and its $48 for a few feet of combo adhesive window / rope door gasket from the dealer.

This is the same dealer that installed the stove without adjusting the door - which has caused the failure of the previous gasket.

Seems like you could find that board cheaper and cut to fit your stove. But I don't know where.

the baff back plate listed at 67 in 2008
the actual baffle is cast, and retails at 132

bass, ordering/stocking/selling requires effort/time
you wouldn't work for free would ya?

I have a 5100i that has a similar baffle. The blanket over the baffle I just replaced with 1/4" kaowool I bought off eBay, I've got enough from that one purchase to last forever. It seems I was reading a post on here somewhere a few months ago about other sources for material to replace these baffles......I think someone was talking about useing some rigidtizing (is that a real word) material on kaowool or there was talk about getting some material from one of these online retailers that supply people that make and use kilns.....you might search for that.

There is 3/4" kaowool and thinner ceramic insulation board that seem like they would work here. Just be sure the thickness is the same. Or get some Skamol vermiculite board (V-1100)

I have looked from time to time for cheaper replacements for the Englander 30-NC boards that ESW sells for sixty five apiece. Stove takes two. I have never found 1/2" board cheaper than they sell it for. The shipping cost is painful so I bought a couple of spares during their Falls sale the discounted the boards and included shipping and a full gasket kit for less than the boards usually sell for.

You can find a lot of boards. But 1/2" appears to be rare.

I think you might want to call a few more QF dealers. If I remember correctly-I replaced the baffle right on top of the burn tubes-I think I paid 50 for mine.

A couple of guys here on the forum have recommended loading thru the front to save some wear and tear. I find front loading to be a piece of cake.

I'll have to find the name of it, but my local refractory dealer sells a fiberboard for much cheaper than that. Like $5 or $6 a square foot. Funny. I thought that was expensive. I remember it has roughly the same thermal conductivity as kaowool and vermiculite. You could make your own board by mixing perlite and fireplace cement:)

Don't know the precise shape and size needed by the OP but nearly any high temperature insulation job can be done with one of the various forms of Fiberfrax (i.e. rope, blanket, paper or board) available. I have used it in my research work for over 40 years and have long made it my default refractory insulation material.

A reasonably well priced retail source of Fiberfrax, (e.g. in 12"x12" sheets at $5-6 per sheet) is Slumpy's, a glass mold company http://www.slumpys.com/SlumpysStore/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2716&CategoryID=175&PCID=175 although a little web searching should yield much lower wholesale prices as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.