Is there any other Garn vertical chimney owners out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
Most owners seem to have horizontal flues.I would like to talk to other vertical owners.

I have one customer locally with a 1500V. I keep pretty good tabs on that unit. What do you need to know?

I don't have an official garn, but I built one on the same principles and I also have a verticle chimney. I don't have any functional issues. I have a rain cap on mine. The only issue I have is I don't have a bird guard and in the summer birds fall down my chimney or build a nest at the top. I plan on covering the chimney for the summer next year. I also put a tubilator in my last pass this year. I really think this was a great idea so far. My exhaust temps are at least 100 degrees lower at the start of the last pass.

I seem to have more sparks and embers coming out then I am comfortable with.I have a shingle roof and am quite certain I won't have a problem but still would rather not see them.I can only see them a night in total darkness.I only have appox 4' out of roof and am thinking on adding more pipe(that much more length to go up and to come down)I have a make shift spark arrestor on now but I don't want to restrict the exhaust flow with too small of openings.Would reducing the fan speed help or hurt? I am also thinking of a cap design .I talked to Kieth from garn and he said I could if it was a least 12" high I'm thinking 18".For the most part I'm very happy with the Garn but I understand there is a learning curve.

Harry

I wonder if it is what your are burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.