Is this a problem, tell me your opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor Tahclep

Burning Hunk
Oct 13, 2020
Quebec, Canada
This past Wednesday when cleaning the stove firebox I found all but 1 of the 4 1/2’’ x 9’’ pumice firebricks covering the firebox floor were cracked, most in 2 pieces and a few in 3 or 4 pieces. ( I am getting weaker with old age and dropping them in I guess breaking the bricks ). The bricks had been covering the bottom steel floor for 4 and perhaps even 5 years, every year the bricks are examined during the cleaning phase and if any are found broken they are replaced with new ones in order to protect the steel firebox.
So off I go to a dealer to purchase new gray pumice firebricks, to my astonishment none to be found at stove dealers and hardware stores in my area, ( supply chain problems I am told ) the stock they did receive has already been sold. One more place to stop a building material supplier, what he had were not pumice firebricks but yellow refractory cement or clay firebricks but of the same 4.5’’ x 9’’ x 1 1/4’’ thick. Not what I really wanted but of the same dimensions, not able to get anything else these will have to do I whisper to myself.

Go home, I install these on the firebox floor and re-install the wall firebricks which are all gray pumice and in excellent condition which is fine by me as these gray pumice bricks are a better insulators than refractory bricks and will protect the sides and back walls better. I need to burn the stove we are getting -27° -28° cold and it is wicked out there.

Is this a mistake?
Can I damage the stove using refractory firebricks that insulate less and transmit more heat to the steel firebox?

What say you?

Last edited:
Can I damage the stove using refractory firebricks that insulate less and transmit more heat to the steel firebox?
I wouldnt worry about damage, the insulation value keeps the internal firebox temps higher for a cleaner burn which is regulated during stove certification / testing.
The only thing that I would be slightly concerned about (and remotely to) would be the floor under the stove getting warmer then previously with the old bricks, but if the stove is on a hearth pad or masonry floor then I wouldnt even flinch.

I'd leave an inch or so of ash in the stove and not give it another thought.

You are in LA Belle province and so is sbi,they do not have firebrick?you can also try my fireplace .com and they offer free shipping

Marty 319 thank you for your reply however:
SBI firebrick is sized for their stoves which is 4’’ x 8 1/8’’ x 1 1/4’’, I need 4.5’’ x 9’’ x 1 1/4’’ for my stove which is a industry standard size.
MFP's site claims ‘’ Out of stock ‘’ on their 4.5’’ x 9’’ x 1 1/4’’ which is what I need.
Not only is MFP ‘’ Out of stock ‘’ on 4.5’’ x 9’’ x 1 1/4’’ they sell them for $18.00 per brick, my 2 closest stove dealers sell them $7.00 Canadian per brick, huge price difference.

I picked up some 1-1/4" x 4-1/2" x 9" bricks (they are light weight but about the same weight as the originals) at the beginning of last season and the regency seems happy with them/I haven't noticed any difference. Picked them up at the local home hardware.