Is this an EPA-driven modification to Jotul secondary air inlet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaD

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2013
Scotland
hi,

I've noticed, in several pics from US stovers, that the secondary air inlet in some Jotul stoves - certainly the F3 CBs, have had quite a modification. It appears that over 2/3 of the opening has been blocked of (presumably by Jotul USA) with a cast iron plug - viz:
image.jpg

Having had the rare opportunity last week to get to the back of my stove, get the inlet cover off and get a look at the actual inlet, I'm interested to notice that the European version does not have that modification - the entire opening of approx 4" is there.

Given how strict the EPA seems to be, I guess I'm surprised this modification exists, as I assume it must surely move the stove's performance in a direction other than the one EPA espouses? So I'm just interested in how that modification really is intended to effect the burn in US Stoves? And, given that many of us talk here about blocking off some of that inlet in order to slow down over enthusiastic burns, how on earth can such a small modified inlet posibly get shut down any more ..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.