Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Had the King burning last evening 4 cherry splits 4 to 5 inches diameter 18 inches long. Stovetop climbed to 600 real quick,cat glowing red hot,went up and looked at the cat and inside ,I could actually see balls of fire going east to west inside the cat almost looked like they were moving back and forth in that pattern for at least 2 hours. Never really took that close a look before this ,the fireballs stayed inside the honeycomb squares but were real active,the glow of the cat really lit the room up.Cat probe reading 1200 degrees,wood moisture was at 12%.Twelve hours later stovetop 250,almost baby powder consistency ashes. PS it was in the low 40's last night but very damp. House temp 74 this morning.

Maybe you got the Knight Rider special edition?

I don't run this stove, but from where I sit. The temps sound normal, so I wouldn't be worried.

Soundsl like some "spontaneous combustion" happening before the cat since the cat was nice and hot.

pen

I have that happen in mine too, sometimes it will just be a wall of fire in front of the cat... I think it's probably normal... Only happens to me when burning on 2+
BKVP said 1600 degrees is no problem for the cat... On my chinook, it's fairly easy to peg the cat thermo right over.

Normal..you can get some neat light shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.