Is this too many termites?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlueMule

Nov 11, 2013
Maryland
I"ve got a few downed sections of nice red oak that I'm bucking and have found termites in some of the wood that split upon falling. Done my research, so I'm not too concerned. But I've got one section that's got quite a few. I would hate to leave the wood behind. Is this TOO many termites?

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_6951.jpg
    IMG_6951.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 345
I"ve got a few downed sections of nice red oak that I'm bucking and have found termites in some of the wood that split upon falling. Done my research, so I'm not too concerned. But I've got one section that's got quite a few. I would hate to leave the wood behind. Is this TOO many termites?

That wood looks like it is rotted ,I would not bother bringing any thing like that home,plenty of good wood around go get it.

I was splitting pine that was loaded with termites. Within a half an hour the carpenter ants discovered the larve and were pulling them out and dragging them away.

The ants were adopting the termites, right? Raising them up in the way of the carpenter ant? ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley
That's a rather extensive condo. I'd give that one back. The forest floor can have it.

If you must have the wood keep it off the ground and away from your house. As the wood dries the termites will leave or die.

They need a queen close by. Chances are they will move on, but I would leave that load.