Isle Royale cracked ceramic fire IR panel.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverp

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Montana
Hi guys and Gals..I just bought a Demo 2009 (4 months old) Quad Isle Royale. I had the dealer order a new top IR fire panel to replace the one that cracked when a customer accidentally dropped the handle with the bypass door in the up(for top loading) position. it cracked from front to back down the middle all the way through. The panel is about 1/2 inch thick, its the ceramic looking panel above the 4 air tubes on the firebox side fo the bypass door. Have any of you ever replaced this panel? Its sandwitched in there above the air tubes tight. no wiggle, Im wondering if I need to remove the air tubes to replace the panel. each air tube hs a hex bolt next to the left end of each one.

Any help would be great.

Patrick
Montana

I think you should be able to get it out with some careful, but firm pulling. I can probably slide mine out fairly easily(I've pushed it back into place before), but it's got a few years of wear on it.

The dealer doesn't know whether the tubes will need to be removed to do this? Sorry, that doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

There is a baffle repair kit offered by Quad (part# 834-4040). I suspect that the new baffle without the wear and tear that mine and Karrion's has seen may require some mild dis-assembly. To be truthful, I have never had a need to mess with mine, so can't rightly tell you. Since you bought it from the dealer in this condition, I would suggest to them that they need to pony up and get'er fixed. But I don't know the nature of your purchase either.

The good news is that it is a darn near new stove so the parts should come apart fairly easy.

There are a couple of people in the industry that are (or used to be) Quad folks here. Hopefully one will be able to speak facts to you.

Ok to whomever owns an Isle Royale, here is what you need to do if you ever need to replace the bypass door fire panel, mine was cracked in half due to someone dropping the bypass door from the open position (to top load wood.)

1. open the top griddle where you load the wood.
2. leave the bypass door in the closed position. look at the top of the bypass door and in each corner you will see a 5/32 hex bolt. These 4 bolts thread through the cast iron bypass door and into the air tube manifolds that are located on either end that the air tubes go into(on the underside)

3. All you need to do is loosen these 4 bolts and the manifolds underneath loosen a bit and you can slide out the fire panel, slide the new one in and tighten them back down.

4. Check for proper position of the new panel fore and aft by closing the bypass door with the handle prior to snugging them down. If the panel is sitting too far back it will hit the fixed fire panel in the back and wont let the bypass door operate freely.

The part number for the fiber boards are here:
Fiberboard, Baffle(this is the one on the bypass door)
434-0650

Fiberboard, Rear
434-0660 (this is the one that is in the rear and abutts up to the baffel board when the bypass door is closed.)

Thats it! Be careful the the hex wrench fits all the way down into the bolt head(clean them out) so you dont end up stripping one.

Patrick

Jags said:
There is a baffle repair kit offered by Quad (part# 834-4040). I suspect that the new baffle without the wear and tear that mine and Karrion's has seen may require some mild dis-assembly. To be truthful, I have never had a need to mess with mine, so can't rightly tell you. Since you bought it from the dealer in this condition, I would suggest to them that they need to pony up and get'er fixed. But I don't know the nature of your purchase either.

The good news is that it is a darn near new stove so the parts should come apart fairly easy.

There are a couple of people in the industry that are (or used to be) Quad folks here. Hopefully one will be able to speak facts to you.

Jags, the baffel repair kit mentioned above is the 2 manifolds on either end of the bypass door that the air tubes fit into.

Patrick

hoverp said:
Jags, the baffel repair kit mentioned above is the 2 manifolds on either end of the bypass door that the air tubes fit into.

Patrick

Good info to know. Sounds like the swap out was a piece of cake.

Hoverp,

What was the retail cost of the two boards?

If it was only cracked in half you could have just left it alone. There is no harm using it with just a crack in it.

karri0n said:
Hoverp,

What was the retail cost of the two boards?

Sorry, I dont know the dealer paid for it. and had it waiting for me after it showed up.

jtp10181 said:
If it was only cracked in half you could have just left it alone. There is no harm using it with just a crack in it.

Maybe...but I wanted to start off right...he paid for the part and I put it in and learned something about my stove at the same time. win/win.

also the crack was 1/8 inch wide as the boards were now in 2 pieces...and the metal bypass plate on top of it was showing where all the heat went....

Im picky about stuff i guess and like to know its all new.

Status
Not open for further replies.