Isolation flange leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Ascherl

Jun 6, 2010
Hinckley, Ohio
So I started air testing my system and other than a few minor pin hole leaks, I noticed that my one isolation pump flange hisses when I open or close it. It is leaking out of the stem. Does anyone know if I need to tighten the nut under the handle or on top? I am thinking the top one just holds the handle on. I just don't want to damage it. They cost almost as much as the pump.

Also, anyone have recommendations as to what I should air test it at? I was thinking 40psi or at the most 50psi. I know air is sneakier then water.

Do they having packing nuts? I know some (if not all) of my ball valves have them. My Webstone had to be snugged up a bit.

Look behind the handle, if there's a nut there see if that fixes your problems. You will probably have to remove the handle.

K

I had a leak like yours, I tightened the nut up a little and it quit. I pressure checked mine to 60 PSI. Some guys seem to think that was to much, but I'd rather know if I have a weak spot before there is 190 degree water in it. Didn't have anything blow out, but I
did find a couple leaks.

Ball valves usually have two nuts, the one that holds the handle on and the packing nut underneath. If its a new valve, you just snug up the nut under the handle while turning the handle. Note there are a lot of chinese junk ball valves that have really poor construction and the packing nuts sometimes strip. Pex Supply sold me a 6 pack of ball valves for my heating system and every one had packing leaks and the packing nuts appear to be stripping. They are soldered in so I am just hoping I dont need to snug them up much.

On older valves, I have been very succesfull replacing the packing with teflon pipe tape by twisting it up into a cord and wrapping it around the stem after the nut is loosened. Teflon rope packing is better but I dont keep it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.