It doesn't hurt to ask...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
When driving through my neighborhood today, I noticed a tree crew working and a large dump trailer loaded with rounds. I circled back and asked if they had plans for the wood. My house was just up the road, so they gladly dropped it off to save them from extra hauling. Maybe 60% sitka spruce (not great burning, but fairly fine ringed, 20-24" diameter ) and the rest red alder, ~12-15" diameter(yard stick in front for reference). I've been directed that I need to set aside a decent number of rounds for the kids to use as a balance playground, but still a good convenient score even with some rounds diverted - and the kids get some fun too.

20210323_135941.jpg

When driving through my neighborhood today, I noticed a tree crew working and a large dump trailer loaded with rounds. I circled back and asked if they had plans for the wood. My house was just up the road, so they gladly dropped it off to save them from extra hauling. Maybe 60% sitka spruce (not great burning, but fairly fine ringed, 20-24" diameter ) and the rest red alder, ~12-15" diameter(yard stick in front for reference). I've been directed that I need to set aside a decent number of rounds for the kids to use as a balance playground, but still a good convenient score even with some rounds diverted - and the kids get some fun too.

View attachment 277051
I told a family member that I'll burn the wood the winter of 22-23. That seems so far away. Imagine that oak from this summer won't be burned until at least 23-24.

I told a family member that I'll burn the wood the winter of 22-23. That seems so far away. Imagine that oak from this summer won't be burned until at least 23-24.
I managed to stock pile enough wood for 5 years, maybe more, and it's kind of a sad feeling knowing it won't be burned for years to come.

Reactions: D8Chumley
It never surprises me how willing the tree company's are to get rid of the wood by giving it away for free :) It never hurts to ask what's happening to the wood, glad they didn't have plans for it. Nice score indeed!