MY LATEST SCORE - 3 TONS OF ASH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke eater

Aug 25, 2010
hudson valley, ny
ASH SCORE.jpg ASH N LOCUST SCORE.jpg I WANTED TO SHARE, WITH YOU, MY LATEST SCORE OF WOOD. ONE OF MY BUDDIES CALLED ME THE OTHER NIGHT AND SAID HIS NEIGHBOR JUST HAD 3 ASH TREES TAKEN DOWN. DID I WANT THE 3 SHAFTS LAYING IN HIS YARD? H.LL YES! I STOPPED BY TO CHECK IT OUT ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK. YEP, THERE WERE 3 25-30' STRAIGHT SHAFTS IN HIS YARD. NO BRUSH. WET DREAM. THE NEIGHBOR CAME OUT TO SEE WHO I WAS AND I TOLD HIM I WAS HIS NEIGHBORS FRIEND AND POLITELY ASKED IF I COULD COME BY IN THE MORNING TO BUCK IT AND TAKE IT HOME. IF NOT, THE TREE CO WAS COMING BACK TO THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE. THIS GUY WAS AROUND 80 YEARS OLD AND COULDN'T HAVE BEEN A NICER GUY. HE TOLD ME I WAS MORE THAN WELCOME TO TAKE IT. I RACED HOME, UNLOADED MY GEAR AND ATV FROM THE TRUCK, HOOKED UP THE TRAILER AND TRIED TO GO TO SLEEP. HE'S AROUND 70 MINUTES AWAY. ANOTHER BUDDY SHOWED UP WITH ME NEXT MORNING. WE PULLED RIGHT UP TO IT IN THE YARD. WE CUT IT INTO 44 20" PIECES, EACH AVERAGING AROUND 16-20" DIAMETER. MY TRAILER IS 16' LONG BY 6.5' WIDE. EVERYTHING FIT IN THE TRAILER- AROUND 74' AND 6000 LBS. MY TRAILER IS RATED FOR 2.5 TONS , SO IT WAS A LITTLE OVER. THE OLD MAN SAID HE WAS IMPRESSED THAT WE COULD TAKE IT ALL. I THANKED HIM AND ASKED HIM , BEFORE I LEFT, WAS THERE ANYTHING I HELP HIM WITH? HE SAID NO THANKS. I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW MUCH IT WEIGHED UNTIL I GOT ALMOST HOME. I STOPPED AT THE LOCAL STONE YARD THAT HAS A SCALE. THEY LET ME WEIGH MY WHOLE RIG (13,700 LBS), THEN I UNHOOKED THE TRAILER AND THE TRUCK WEIGHED 6060 LBS. THAT LEFT THE WEIGHT OF THE TRAILER AT 7640 LBS. THE TRAILER WEIGHS AROUND 1700 LBS. EMPTY, SO THAT LEAVES 3 TONS OF WOOD. I WAS GUESSING AROUND 2 TONS. A LITTLE OFF. NOW THAT I THINK OF IT, THAT OLD MAN LOOKED LIKE THE SAME GUY THAT FLIES AROUND IN A SLED IN DECEMBER.
THE LOCUST PIECES WERE LAYING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, NEAR MY HOUSE. THEY WERE BEGGING FOR A NEW HOME. PROBABLY FROM THE TOWN HIGHWAY CREW.

I KNOW. NO PICS, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. I HAVE A PICTURE ON MY PHONE, BUT MY PC IS NOT TOO NICE RIGHT NOW. I'LL GET THE PIC ASAP

Last edited:
Your enthusiasm is evident from your caps locked posting.;)

Nice score on the ash. I love it when I can drive right up and start to block them out. No brush is even better.

burning alot of ash now. spilts nice, seasons fast, burns ok, just not as long as oak and such. nice score.

Your enthusiasm is evident from your caps locked posting.;)

Nice score on the ash. I love it when I can drive right up and start to block them out. No brush is even better.

PICS ARE UP. IT HAPPENED. I DO CAPS BECAUSE I CAN'T TYPE TO SAVE MY LIFE. I'M SLOWWWWWWWWWWW.

Great ash score!

That locust with the poison ivy would've stayed where it was!

Great ash score!

That locust with the poison ivy would've stayed where it was!

I'M GUESSING THE POISON IVY SCARED AWAY THE OTHERS. NOT A BIG DEAL TO ME.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Real nice score!! I was gonna say that there appeared to be some black locust in with that ash but rdust beat me to it. Let that locust season a good 2 years and mix a 3 or 4 locust splits with a couple of ash splits and man it's off to the races!

I'm one of the blessed I guess, I've never had poison ivy in my 60 years on planet Earth. As a matter of fact, I used to win bets summer camp when I was a kid by rubbing the stuff up and down my arms and legs. My tent counselor held the bet money for 5 days and if I didn't breakout in a rash or just fall over dead, which I never did, I collected the money, less for the 25% that went to my tent counselor for a referee's fee.;lol

Reactions: smoke eater
PICS ARE UP. IT HAPPENED. I DO CAPS BECAUSE I CAN'T TYPE TO SAVE MY LIFE. I'M SLOWWWWWWWWWWW.

Typing without the caps is as easy as using the all caps. IT IS LIKE YELLING WHEN YOU USE ALL CAPS. Also a bit hard on the eyes.

Reactions: AmarilloSlim
Heck of a load of firewood. I agree, Ash and Locust is about the best mix around.
Those stacks don't look too shabby either. Think I see more Ash & a bunch of Mulberry which would be another perfect mix.

Not sure what is more impressive -the score or that whitetail in your avatar. Nice BUCK and that deserves yell :)

Great score SE! Is there much ash in your area? I am burning some I was able to get courtesy of hurricane Irene but don't see much of it around here. I'm keeping my eyes open for any more. Split nicely, dried well and burns good, I like it.

Attachments

• DSCF4072.JPG
    DSCF4072.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 148
Nice load there. I think that three 25'-30' straight trunks is about the best firewood score one could come across. Most of the hard work is done and you get to cut to the length you want. Ash and Black Locust is a nice mix.

Love looking at freshly bucked rounds all the same size. Yum.

THANKS. JUST THINK HOW NICE THEY'LL LOOK WHEN SPLIT N STACKED, ALL THE SAME SAME SIZE. YUM, YUM. BTW, I'M NOT YELLING. TYPING VERY SOFTLY.;)

Heck of a load of firewood. I agree, Ash and Locust is about the best mix around.
Those stacks don't look too shabby either. Think I see more Ash & a bunch of Mulberry which would be another perfect mix.

ASH N CHERRY. GOOD EYE, BUD

Great score SE! Is there much ash in your area? I am burning some I was able to get courtesy of hurricane Irene but don't see much of it around here. I'm keeping my eyes open for any more. Split nicely, dried well and burns good, I like it.

THANKS, LOTS OF ASH AROUND HERE. SAD BUT TRUE, THEY'RE DISSAPPEARING. EVERY YEAR ON MY PROPERTY, I'M MARKING THE ONES THAT ARE DYING. AT LEAST THEY'LL BE PUT TO GOOD USE. THAT STACK OF ASH IN THE BACKGROUND WAS FROM SANDY. THERE'S MORE, TOO.

Nice load there. I think that three 25'-30' straight trunks is about the best firewood score one could come across. Most of the hard work is done and you get to cut to the length you want. Ash and Black Locust is a nice mix.

+1. THANKS. THIS WAS A RARE SCORE FOR ME. TRUST ME. WISH THEY WERE ALL THIS EASY FOR ALL OF US. HAD IT BUCKED AND LOADED IN AROUND AN HOUR WITH MY BUDDY. MY BUDDY EVEN DECLINED SOME FOR HELPING ME. SAID HE WAS WAITING FOR HIS OWN SCORE TO BE DROPPED AT HIS HOUSE. HERE IT IS. LOOKS LIKE OAK AND SOME MAPLE.

TOMMY.jpg

Nice score.

Ever think of how much of that is water. Half or more is reasonable if that wood is green. Make it 3000 pounds of water, which is 380 gallons or more than 20 half kegs of beer.

Reactions: Soundchasm
nice

That is gorgeous! There may be a day when I see such nice sections, but only if I'm not involved in the cutting!!

NIce score on the Ash. Nice to have a big trailer like yours too. I find it harder to type in all CAPS though.

NIce score on the Ash. Nice to have a big trailer like yours too. I find it harder to type in all CAPS though.

thanks Pauly. it was a big investment for me and its paying off. got it mostly to haul my Kubota bx 24 around, if needed.

Nice score, split the ash soon and it will be ready next year.
I'm having a hard time reading your posts with all caps too, in fact after the I read the first one I skipped the rest because I got a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.